HELP! My silkie rooster Elvis got injured…

Cherysh

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2023
As the title says, my silkie rooster Elvis got injured. At first it wasn’t so bad. All he did was shut his eyes. Today, he will not move, his eyes still shut, (won’t open for much) I did open them for him but he closed them again. He’s not blind as far as I can see. He’s very droopy and drowsy. He tried to walk around and rolled face first right into his feed. (I separated him from the flock) added some antibiotics and stuff to his water and gave him some food, Mashed chicken feed so it would be soft for him and some herbs like mint. When he breathes he rasps a bit. His side of his face is a bit inflamed but one my biggest worries is his beak. It’s scissored. He’s never had it before and he comes from an amazing bloodline. However, since he won’t open his eyes for ANYTHING, I have to hand feed him and water him. Additionally, a bit of white discharge is coming from the edge of his beak. He was perfectly fine before what happened to him…I’m totally clueless! Is there a type of medicine I could get? Please help.!

It would help to describe in detail what his injuries are. He is also probably suffering from shock. Shock is the first thing to treat. Warm sugar water - one teaspoon to one cup water. If the injuries are from punctures, then an antibiotic is necessary. Other injuries, especially closed ones do not generally call for an antibiotic.

Did something heavy land on him?

It would help to describe in detail what his injuries are. He is also probably suffering from shock. Shock is the first thing to treat. Warm sugar water - one teaspoon to one cup water. If the injuries are from punctures, then an antibiotic is necessary. Other injuries, especially closed ones do not generally call for an antibiotic.

I am not sure. I went outside yesterday- and he was just laying on the ground. Not sure how he got out. He doesn’t have really any injuries, just a small scratch on the side of his head near his ear. Other than that, nothing. It bled a bit and that was all. I’ll try the sugar water. Thank you.

Sounds like a possible head injury. Add a pinch of salt and baking soda to his cup of sugar water to level out his electrolytes. If he rallies, treat him with a capsule of vitamin e once a day for a week. It may also help.

Sounds like a possible head injury. Add a pinch of salt and baking soda to his cup of sugar water to level out his electrolytes. If he rallies, treat him with a capsule of vitamin e once a day for a week. It may also help.
Thanks so much! I do have a question, though. Any way to fix his eyes not opening? His right eye is easy to open and his left eye feels like it’s practically glued shut! I try to pry his right one open every now and then but it’s like he can’t open them himself or chooses not to. There no pus or anything. He just won’t open them for some reason..

Are there any secretions from the eye keeping the eye glued shut? If there is or any crust, you can apply a warm wet wash cloth and hold it on the eye to soften any crust. Irrigating the eye with eye wash or saline eye drops can soothe an irritated eye.

Back
Top Bottom