Jul 8, 2022
We are newer chicken owners. We have a small backyard flock of (5) about 4 month old hens. Four days ago we went out to let our flock free range the backyard which we usually do every day/every other day and we found our leading lady (a Rainbow Dixie) laying underneath the coop unwilling to come out.

When we finally got her out of the coop we noticed she wasn’t using her right leg properly. She was hobbling around on her right hock and there was a hard bump (felt like bone to me, but what do I know?) sticking up but not out from her hip area. We also noticed she had dried blood near her comb so we immediately separated her into a dog crate inside the house to limit her movement and remove her from the bullying.

Her comb and wattles have remained the proper color and stiffness, she’s still eating and drinking well, and she has been laying an egg daily.

On day 2, we woke up to her hobbling on both hocks so we started trying to rule out what was wrong with her through trial and error.

Originally we thought she had dislocated her right leg because of the bump but she was still able to move the leg, just unable to support her body weight and when she started hobbling on the left hock there was no bump on that side. My husband was able to move her legs in every direction without her showing signs of pain although he did feel what he described as clicking in the right joints.

Then we started thinking maybe she was egg bound because whatever it was affected both legs and she had a runny poop so we gave her an epsom salt bath. Since then she has laid an egg daily and her poop is back to solid so we no longer think that’s an issue.

Next we started her on vitamins with B12 and riboflavin because we read that possible slipped tendons could be caused by vitamin deficiency.

She seemed to be hobbling better on day 3 than she was on day 2, but other than that we’ve seen no improvements. Everything I’ve read regarding slipped tendons seems to be specific to chicks so I’m feeling lost… Has anyone ever wrapped an older chicken for a slipped tendon? Is it possible a sling could help whatever is going on with her? If none of this works, what are the chances she can live a normal chicken life with the rest of them?

We’re hoping she comes out better on the other end and we’d like to treat her ourselves.
AFC260F3-02E3-48E4-88B0-41FD45D8FEF8.jpeg
784B3160-D2D3-46A0-B968-D01B45BBBAC7.jpeg
52330DFA-1D2D-421B-85B6-25FCF1191F77.jpeg

Last edited:
There are more than one cause of such lameness as this. Your best bet is to continue with the B-vitamins. It may take a few weeks to see this resolve.

Recently, I had an older hen with a similar lameness. I treated her with B-100 complex for three or four weeks, and she has fully recovered. She also had a bacteria infection I treated with oral penicillin. She recovered from that, as well.

I have an avian virus in my flock that is similar in symptoms as Marek's. I was almost certain this hen had become symptomatic of the leucosis virus since my older chickens sometimes do, and then euthanasia is the usual consequence as there is no cure. This hen surprised me by recovering.

If your hen does not recover and gets worse to the point you need to end her suffering, I strongly advise getting a necropsy to find out the cause since it could affect the rest of your flock.

We are newer chicken owners. We have a small backyard flock of (5) about 4 month old hens. Four days ago we went out to let our flock free range the backyard which we usually do every day/every other day and we found our leading lady (a Rainbow Dixie) laying underneath the coop unwilling to come out.

When we finally got her out of the coop we noticed she wasn’t using her right leg properly. She was hobbling around on her right hock and there was a hard bump (felt like bone to me, but what do I know?) sticking up but not out from her hip area. We also noticed she had dried blood near her comb so we immediately separated her into a dog crate inside the house to limit her movement and remove her from the bullying.

Her comb and wattles have remained the proper color and stiffness, she’s still eating and drinking well, and she has been laying an egg daily.

On day 2, we woke up to her hobbling on both hocks so we started trying to rule out what was wrong with her through trial and error.

Originally we thought she had dislocated her right leg because of the bump but she was still able to move the leg, just unable to support her body weight and when she started hobbling on the left hock there was no bump on that side. My husband was able to move her legs in every direction without her showing signs of pain although he did feel what he described as clicking in the right joints.

Then we started thinking maybe she was egg bound because whatever it was affected both legs and she had a runny poop so we gave her an epsom salt bath. Since then she has laid an egg daily and her poop is back to solid so we no longer think that’s an issue.

Next we started her on vitamins with B12 and riboflavin because we read that possible slipped tendons could be caused by vitamin deficiency.

She seemed to be hobbling better on day 3 than she was on day 2, but other than that we’ve seen no improvements. Everything I’ve read regarding slipped tendons seems to be specific to chicks so I’m feeling lost… Has anyone ever wrapped an older chicken for a slipped tendon? Is it possible a sling could help whatever is going on with her? If none of this works, what are the chances she can live a normal chicken life with the rest of them?

We’re hoping she comes out better on the other end and we’d like to treat her ourselves.View attachment 3178439View attachment 3178440View attachment 3178441
My 10 wk old buff started doing this two days ago. We have taken her to an avian/exotic dr in Savannah and today we took her to UGAs Vet hospital. X-rays showed nothing was broken. Bloodwork was fine as well. She was sent home on pain med and anti inflammatory med. We were told to crate her next to the run for 7 days. Still hoping she recovers.

My 10 wk old buff started doing this two days ago. We have taken her to an avian/exotic dr in Savannah and today we took her to UGAs Vet hospital. X-rays showed nothing was broken. Bloodwork was fine as well. She was sent home on pain med and anti inflammatory med. We were told to crate her next to the run for 7 days. Still hoping she recovers.
So sorry to hear about your sweet girl! How strange they couldn't find anything. It's definitely a weird situation for us and for you too, I imagine. I'm hoping yours recovers as well! Thank you for your input, it's reassuring that we've got her on the right path.

There are more than one cause of such lameness as this. Your best bet is to continue with the B-vitamins. It may take a few weeks to see this resolve.

Recently, I had an older hen with a similar lameness. I treated her with B-100 complex for three or four weeks, and she has fully recovered. She also had a bacteria infection I treated with oral penicillin. She recovered from that, as well.

I have an avian virus in my flock that is similar in symptoms as Marek's. I was almost certain this hen had become symptomatic of the leucosis virus since my older chickens sometimes do, and then euthanasia is the usual consequence as there is no cure. This hen surprised me by recovering.

If your hen does not recover and gets worse to the point you need to end her suffering, I strongly advise getting a necropsy to find out the cause since it could affect the rest of your flock.
Thank you for your input, azygous! I went out yesterday and tried to find B-100 complex but the best things I could find were Nutri-drench and Poultry Booster. We started her on Nutri-drench yesterday.

I am fairly certain it's not Marek's just because she doesn't have the majority of those symptoms. I suppose I'll just keep my fingers crossed that I'm doing the right thing and hope she surprises me by recovering.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it! It's reassuring to know we're on the right path.

Not nearly enough B vitamins in those selections. You need hefty amounts of B-2, 6, and 12. They make vitamin B-complex with all those, or Super B-complex with higher amounts. B-100 complex has the highest amounts. Plain B-complex will suffice if you can't fine either of the two with the higher amounts. Or buy B-2, 6, and 12 separately.

Any vitamin store will sell all of the above, and Walmart is actually very good about stocking the different strengths. Don't just settle. The B-complex is strong medicine and is worth the effort to find it.

Not nearly enough B vitamins in those selections. You need hefty amounts of B-2, 6, and 12. They make vitamin B-complex with all those, or Super B-complex with higher amounts. B-100 complex has the highest amounts. Plain B-complex will suffice if you can't fine either of the two with the higher amounts. Or buy B-2, 6, and 12 separately.

Any vitamin store will sell all of the above, and Walmart is actually very good about stocking the different strengths. Don't just settle. The B-complex is strong medicine and is worth the effort to find it.
Walmart has vitamins for poultry? Or do you give them vitamins for humans?

Back
Top Bottom