Help! Phesants?!

missusduray

Songster
12 Years
May 20, 2007
Northern Minnesota
My husband wants to raise phesants so I let him order some and they will be here on the 2nd of June. Now I am being told that each bird (30) will need "blinders" so that they dont kill eachother. Can someone give me more information on this and if they need them, where do I find them? I looked on MM but I couldn't find any.
Kristyne

This is my first time with pheasants so i don't know alot. I Do know that they need alot of space. I have 18 that are 1 1/2 weeks old. I use a infra red light. One way to keep them from hurting each other is lots of room and stuff to peck at like branches with leaves heads of cabbage. When mine were a week old they could fly about 3 feet high. I was told that i could get blinders if i needed them but im gona try to get by with out them. Mine are in a pen that is 2 feet wide by 8 feet long and 4 feet high. I plan on putting them in a bigger pen this weekend. Like i said lots of room and things to keep them occupied. I will let you know what happens. Here is mine in there pen i have in the garage. Oh yah they grow real fast. Hope this helps. Any more ? just ask. I will try to help.

chickens017.jpg

this is also my first time with pheasants. I've got one pheasant (3wks old) in a brooder with a Turkey(1 wk old) there both about the same size. The pheasant was pretty rough the first day, i'm not sure if they were just sorting out the pecking order or not. We put the pheasant in with a broody hen to get it away from the turkey and the first thing it did was grab hold of the hens comb and latch on so we seperated them and put it back with the turkey. they seem to be getting along ok now, at least no one has drawn blood yet.

They are most "picky" during breeding season, however they can start cannabalistic behavior while feathering in as youngsters. Space is the main concern and the more space you provide the better off you'll be. Any stressors can cause picking tho, so watch closely and nip it in the butt before it gets out of hand.

We did beak clipping at the early stages and used the blinders when breeding started. The cockbirds were the worst pickers and attacked each other visciously. The hens are not so bad and we don't have any on the hens. Also, removing excess cockbirds will reduce pecking and fighting.

You can get the blinders/peepers at Cutler Supply. You will also want to consider having hot pick spray or blue kote on hand in case picking starts.

http://www.cutlersupply.com/store/np-product.ap-peepers.html

Jody

Back
Top Bottom