Help- Rooster has lost appetite and is standing in place all day

bripea

Hatching
Mar 9, 2024
Hi! I have a 1 1/2 year old red pyle bantam who has been acting strange the past day or so. It started yesterday when I brought him inside (he likes to hang out with our indoor chicken). I noticed he wasn’t making much noise and he wouldn’t eat. He was also having diarrhea that started out with some green poop and white streaks in it, then it turned clear, and last night it was yellow (clear, almost like pee). One of the poops also had a piece of undigested food in it. This morning it looks like his poops have more solid material in them, but they’re still pretty liquidy. He’s been drinking water throughout this whole thing, and just now I got him to eat a piece of mackerel with yogurt. He is still sitting here, not necessarily lethargic, but very tired looking. He keeps closing his eyes, and I do notice a bit of a shake and a tail bob as he’s standing here, but I don’t know if that’s due to illness or just how he’s standing. He doesn’t seem to have a fever, his comb and wattles are not discolored, he makes some noise when you pick him up, and he does have some strength to fight to be put down. His feathers were ruffled up yesterday but today only his head feathers seem to be up. We have been keeping him away from any other chickens. It has been very rainy and cold where I live, does this have something to do with it? We have also been having some rooster drama with our wellsummer rooster who doesn’t really like him, so I am worried this might be some sort of stress response his body is having to that whole situation. I have included some photos of his poop from yesterday as well as this morning.

Attachments

• 5EC6E861-6CC0-440B-A496-5EA30D0B2B32.jpeg
    5EC6E861-6CC0-440B-A496-5EA30D0B2B32.jpeg
    1,003 KB · Views: 29
  • D7E09067-EBC2-4443-ACEC-DCED1A2CCEFB.jpeg
    D7E09067-EBC2-4443-ACEC-DCED1A2CCEFB.jpeg
    711.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DF2BF772-E959-4B9D-A823-F84A0C9EE878.jpeg
    DF2BF772-E959-4B9D-A823-F84A0C9EE878.jpeg
    689.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 6EA6EC25-2B19-47EB-9FEB-CD4F61EAB5E0.jpeg
    6EA6EC25-2B19-47EB-9FEB-CD4F61EAB5E0.jpeg
    677.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 5B2366B7-27F7-4F4D-A27B-C696D790F104.jpeg
    5B2366B7-27F7-4F4D-A27B-C696D790F104.jpeg
    458.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 49304287-CC45-4530-AE47-E4BBCAEC2F7E.jpeg
    49304287-CC45-4530-AE47-E4BBCAEC2F7E.jpeg
    890.7 KB · Views: 3
  • BAC40DC7-60CF-454C-BE07-A028A9261EC4.jpeg
    BAC40DC7-60CF-454C-BE07-A028A9261EC4.jpeg
    632.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. He has a lot of bile or yellow urates in his droppings. That could be something going on with his liver. Coccidiosis can also cause yellow fluid in the dropping. I might start treatment with Corid for possible coccidiosis. I’m not sure what would cause liver issues in a rooster though. Has he been wormed recently, and if so, what did you use? What type of feed does he eat along with any treats? Does he get access to grit to help with his digestion?

Welcome to BYC. He has a lot of bile or yellow urates in his droppings. That could be something going on with his liver. Coccidiosis can also cause yellow fluid in the dropping. I might start treatment with Corid for possible coccidiosis. I’m not sure what would cause liver issues in a rooster though. Has he been wormed recently, and if so, what did you use? What type of feed does he eat along with any treats? Does he get access to grit to help with his digestion?
We have corid, is there any risk with treating him with it if it isn’t confirmed sickness? Also, he eats Kalmbach flock raiser. He also eats scratch and black soldier fly larvae as a treat. None of our other chickens have these symptoms.

Since a liver disease can cause similar symptoms, is there any way that you could get a vet to see him, or do a fecal float to look for a large amount of coccidia (or worms) in his poop? Corid is pretty safe and mild, even if he doesn’t have coccidiosis, so you could start some if you cannot take in a poop sample to the vet. The scratch and too many other treats can sometimes lead to fatty liver, but there are other liver diseases.

Corid dosage is 10 ml of the liquid or 1.5 tsp. of the powder per gallon of water for 5 days.

Since a liver disease can cause similar symptoms, is there any way that you could get a vet to see him, or do a fecal float to look for a large amount of coccidia (or worms) in his poop? Corid is pretty safe and mild, even if he doesn’t have coccidiosis, so you could start some if you cannot take in a poop sample to the vet. The scratch and too many other treats can sometimes lead to fatty liver, but there are other liver diseases.

Corid dosage is 10 ml of the liquid or 1.5 tsp. of the powder per gallon of water for 5 days.
Unfortunately we can’t get a sample to a vet. We gave him corid (we have the liquid so we added it to his water) and I can feel he’s got some pellets in his crop. His poop is also less liquid and more of a thickened consistency, so he’s definitely improving slowly. Is there any way I could check his poop at home? I assume no but it’s good to ask anyways! Thank you for all the help so far.

No, unless you have a microscope at home and can read fecal samples, you wouldn’t be able to test it. Let us know if he improves or what happens.

Back
Top Bottom