Help!!!Rust colored spots in eggshell!!!

zoereef1221

Songster
8 Years
Jan 28, 2016
North Carolina
Posted in emergencies/diseases group as well…

This is my second year with ducks, we just have three female Indian runners. I cracked this egg today and noticed some slimy orange/rust colored spots inside the egg shell. I tossed the egg as there was a slight off putting smell from that spot. The yolk and white all looked normal. Any idea what this could be from? Or perhaps just a micro crack I couldn’t see and it became contaminated that way? I have noted two other duck eggs I collected recently with one beak mark on them and the shell was partially cracked through 🙄

They free range, sleep in their coop at night and we do live in a woodsy area no telling what they get into. Any info appreciated !!! Thanks! And the ducks are all appearing healthy aside from some watery poops. With that said- also wondering if eatery poop is normal in ducks. I wasn’t sure if it was due to how much water they take or ignite something abnormal. It’s always brown/green, no mucous, blood or anything like that.

Attachments

• A6A0D1C3-DAA0-472F-BEAA-DA1B8B90F7DA.jpeg
    A6A0D1C3-DAA0-472F-BEAA-DA1B8B90F7DA.jpeg
    433.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 9C528847-9726-4DA9-B284-EC6AE1730969.jpeg
    9C528847-9726-4DA9-B284-EC6AE1730969.jpeg
    417.7 KB · Views: 9
Posted in emergencies/diseases group as well…

This is my second year with ducks, we just have three female Indian runners. I cracked this egg today and noticed some slimy orange/rust colored spots inside the egg shell. I tossed the egg as there was a slight off putting smell from that spot. The yolk and white all looked normal. Any idea what this could be from? Or perhaps just a micro crack I couldn’t see and it became contaminated that way? I have noted two other duck eggs I collected recently with one beak mark on them and the shell was partially cracked through 🙄

They free range, sleep in their coop at night and we do live in a woodsy area no telling what they get into. Any info appreciated !!! Thanks! And the ducks are all appearing healthy aside from some watery poops. With that said- also wondering if eatery poop is normal in ducks. I wasn’t sure if it was due to how much water they take or ignite something abnormal. It’s always brown/green, no mucous, blood or anything like that.
Duck poop is typically pretty watery, as if they have access to water, they do their best to consume their body weight. (Slight exaggeration there🤣)

I looks like there was a bit of bacteria that got in there. If it's a one off, it's probably not anything to worry about.

Duck poop is typically pretty watery, as if they have access to water, they do their best to consume their body weight. (Slight exaggeration there🤣)

I looks like there was a bit of bacteria that got in there. If it's a one off, it's probably not anything to worry about.
Thanks for the reply! Yes they are nonstop with the water and always have access to a little pond to swim.

It is just the one egg so far, and I’ve checked more of them. I sell our chicken eggs frequently but my duck eggs just here and there (lots of people scared to eat duck eggs like it’s something crazy 🤣) we happily eat them but I would be sick to my stomach if someone got sick from one 🥺 so wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing anything !

Thanks for the reply! Yes they are nonstop with the water and always have access to a little pond to swim.

It is just the one egg so far, and I’ve checked more of them. I sell our chicken eggs frequently but my duck eggs just here and there (lots of people scared to eat duck eggs like it’s something crazy 🤣) we happily eat them but I would be sick to my stomach if someone got sick from one 🥺 so wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing anything !
The only problem that I know of that happens more frequently in duck eggs than chicken eggs is possibly worms... And that's only a problem if people eat them raw.

I have the same problem with people thinking ducks eggs are crazy. I don't get it, I think they taste better, personally.... But hey, chickens are easier to keep, so I count my blessings. 🤣😁

The only problem that I know of that happens more frequently in duck eggs than chicken eggs is possibly worms... And that's only a problem if people eat them raw.

I have the same problem with people thinking ducks eggs are crazy. I don't get it, I think they taste better, personally.... But hey, chickens are easier to keep, so I count my blessings. 🤣😁
Good to know! My kids and husband sometimes eat the chicken eggs raw… the ducks eggs most of the time are … not as clean 😅 chickens are definitely easier. My husband hates the ducks. But there’s nothing cuter than a duck doing zoomies under the water or cocking their head sideways in curiosity of an airplane overhead 😆🥰

Back
Top Bottom