Help save my 11 yr olds favorite pets where there is an ambiguous code

6.20.010 - Running at large prohibited.

It is unlawful for any person to suffer or permit any chickens or other domestic fowls owned by him or in his charge or under his control to run at large within the city. The term "at large" shall be defined to include those times during which any chicken or other domestic fowl is not enclosed or kept in a pen sufficiently strong or constructed to confine the same on the premises of its owner or keeper.

Also a bit puzzling to ban loose poultry if poultry are banned entirely.

I don't see about setbacks, but:
6.08.150 - Animal confines—Shelters.

A. It is unlawful for any person to keep or maintain any animal in any yard, structure or area that is not clean, dry and sanitary, free from debris and offensive odors that annoy any neighbor, and devoid of rodents and vermin.

B. Excrement shall be removed at least once each week from any animal shelter, pen or yard area where animals are kept, or more often if necessary to prevent or control odors, fly breeding or rodent infestation. If excrement is stored on the premises by any animal owner, it shall be stored in adequate containers with fly-tight lids, and all such stored or accumulated wastes shall be disposed of at least once each week.

drainage, no standing water, etc.

The bit about cruelty says you must "supply such animal with necessary and adequate care, food, drink, air, light, space, shelter and protection from the elements as necessary for health arid well-being of such kind of animal" which seems to loosely cover coop and litter. Also you can't sell ducklings or chicks under two months of age in groups smaller than twelve, and you can't dye them, which I'd say implies that you can have undyed peepers by the dozen and ones old enough to be sold in smaller groups.

There's quite a list of animals you can't keep, and this includes 'game cocks and fighting birds' which also makes it seem like if they meant to ban all chickens they'd have said that instead.

Hmm. To me this code means you can keep chickens in your yard:

It is unlawful for any person to own, harbor or keep within the city any wild or domestic animal, fowl, bird and reptile, except as hereinafter provided:

D. All household pets other than dogs and cats, shall be kept and maintained at all times inside the personal residence of their owner and/or harborer;

So you can't keep fowl, EXCEPT if you keep them at your home.
These and the other ordinances governing chickens are why I think they're legal

I have been invited to write a proposal for our city council to specifically allow chickens. An anonymous tip brought a police officer to my door this week but no one can point to the code that specifically disallows chickens or show that they don't meet the exception of they remain inside your personal residence as pets, residence including yard. To see our current code, go here https://library.municode.com/ks/gre...s?nodeId=TIT6AN_CH6.08ANGE_6.08.070KEANWIPRXC
Any tips for drawing people to our cause and any words of wisdom/ resources for drafting the proposal? Any help would save my 11 year olds favorite pets. Thank you!
It clearly states it is unlawful to keep domesticated fowl; exception is if your property was involuntarily annexed - has your property been annexed?

If not then you are not permitted to keep domesticated fowl (ie: poultry).

It doesn’t matter if you keep these chickens inside your home which BTW is not only horrible for the chicken but unhygienic to humans.

Back
Top Bottom