HELP sick recovering chicken now not standing

markdavies

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2023
Ive been full circle with a 7 month old Sweedish hen who has never laid an egg. I found her listless , eyes dropped not eating or moving last Sunday. I immediately removed her from her flock and brought her inside to a warm cage. I started to force fluids into her, from honey water, coconut water and such. I started with Corid immediately too thinking it might be coccidiosis. She wouldn't touch food or water and went down hill fast to the point on Monday night she was lying on her side, heavy breathing and her eyes were glued shut. The poor bird could not hold her head up and was rubbing her beak on the floor. I was a mess, and still opened her beak to inject various fluids in in. I knew the right thing was to euthanize her as it was heartbreaking see her suffer. I decided to wait till Tureday am, to see if she made it through the night and checked on her and to MY SURPRISE in the morning her head was up off the ground and still alive, she was obviously stronger! I got warm water and soaked her eyelids which finally opened. Three hours later she actually ate on her own some scrambled egg.
OK MIRACULOUS recovery, absolutely wild! Im still celebrating bringing her back from dead..

Now it's Thursday she is eating on her own, and drinking however she just can't seem to walk and hardly stand. Yes, I realize she was a fraction from death and she needs to gain strength to move forward, Im trying to force her up a bit.. Is there anything Im missing to her to get her up and about rather then patience? Her poo is green very liquid. She's obviously still sick and don't know what to do Any input would be helpful. thanks

Last edited:
Wow! Congrats on saving her! I would suggest tuna (in water) too for something good for her she'd most likely eat.

What I would also do is alternate vitamin water with plain water or Hydro Hen/probiotic. She needs vitamins and probiotics, the latter of which would help with any digestive issues and her poop. There's a Sav a Chick product that's probiotics too or sugar-free Greek yogurt works. I ferment grains which is full of probiotics and prebiotics so if you want to learn a very simple way to do that, let me know. For vitamins, I've got Nutra Drench, Poultry Cell, and Rooster Booster granules. The first two get mixed in water.

She's a trouper as are you! 😊

Thanks folks, I’m still amazed she is improving. I love this bird. She can only stand for a few seconds to reposition herself, then settles back down. She’s very alert and preening her feathers. I decided to give her worm medication yesterday to see if that’s making her weak. I will continue for 5 days ..fenbendazole. She is eating on her own, but not a lot, she’s picking blueberries up out of her feed. Her poop is very green and liquid, I think I should get it tested to see if there are worms in it. I really appreciate everyone’s replies. Thank you so much, Mark.

Here’s a pick of Charlotte and her poop too.

IMG_1294.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1289.jpeg
    IMG_1289.jpeg
    550.5 KB · Views: 3
Update:
Charlotte is eating a bit, and drinking on her own, however she only takes a few steps and has to lay down. It seems like she just doesn’t have the energy, definitely not ready to join the flock. I’m giving her poultry cell. Im not sure what else I can do?

Wondering how your hen is. When mine wouldn't eat I gave her some of her favorite yogurt . Plain unsweetened organic Greek yogurt. It can give them some diarrhea so just tiny amount to get her to eat then I made a mash n put a dab on that. Got her eating again

Thanks for asking! I have to say it’s really a miracle that this bird pulled through and is back with her 7 sisters. Honestly she was a thread away from death, and somehow my perseverance paid off. She was in sickbay for about 9 days, until she was back in the coop. I exercised her and had visiting hours with her friends which really got her up and going. Thanks you everyone for your suggestions and support!
mark

Back
Top Bottom