Help w Sick Hen Pale Comb, Poop on Vent, Crop feels Full ish Not much appetite, Slow,

sahara910

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 11, 2017
Advice on ill/ off hen please. Vet can't see her to rule out anything until 2/28... Here's the list of facts
- Flock: 14 hens no roo in a coop/ run with a free range yard
-Symptoms go back to the 8th ish...

Symptoms
-Dirty Vent area which is what prompted me to really take notice (But no bloody stool)
-Way less active, not laying down/ lethargic but mostly slow walking and sitting even when everyone else was scratching (But not straining/ penguin walking)
- Decreased appetite, Can confirm she is drinking on her own
- Pale Comb
- Do not see any visible worms in poo
- Do not see any mites
- crop feels full ish all the time, not as full as like a a tennis ball but not empty either.. which is odd as she's barely eating
- She was the last to molt... still has new feathers coming in
- has not laid eggs yet again since winter/ molt
- Since the molt I notice a couple hens have small bald patches near vent not irritated but I am mentioning it anyhow... I assumed someone was picking but who knows.
-If I figure out where to put pics I will include photo of her dirty vent 3 days ago, after I cleaned it, pic of poo from today, new vent pic maybe a video and pic of comb.

What have I done
-She is separated
-We did a soak to clean her up two days ago Dried her and 2 days ago put her back out in the sun to free range but she took her back in to separation yesterday, did another soak in epsom salt too... leaving her in basement separation in case it is something contagious?
-She has Flock Leader: Recover Plus in the water and I gave her a little olive oil today and massaged her crop/
-Tried feeding some scrambled eggs and her usual feed this morning but she hasn't eaten it yet. As of this afternoon I took away all food.
- Tomorrow I am asking my vet if they will do a fecal test even though they don't see birds. Avian vet can't see her until 2/28

She may be having some trouble coming back into lay after molt. Do you notice any bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

I'd re-check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink to see that it's emptying. If it's not, then address that symptom, according to this article https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I'd work on keeping her hydrated, encourage her to eat, sometimes a bit of wet feed along with egg is enticing.
I'd also get extra Calcium into her. 1 Calcium Citrate with D3, just pull down on her wattles, pop the pill into the beak and let her swallow. You can find Calcium tablets on the vitamin aisle at stores like Walmart, CVS, etc.

Back
Top Bottom