Help with unwanted male duck

Gigib

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2022
I'm currently in a dilemma, one of my previous duck had died cause one of my male ducks would grab the back of her neck constantly where she was missing feathers and since she was smaller she couldn't do anything. My other two small female ducks are facing thr same problem and my second make duck NEVER did that to them. I now need to do something because my two females are in a rough looking state with all their feathers plucked off their body. I don't know what to do with my male duck and my family says to drop him off at the lake since I know he won't survive I don't want to eat him either since that's cruel in my eyes . No one would take him since its only him that's giving my other ducks a problem, and everyone who would take him wants to eat him. What should I do :(

Is there a humane society near you that you can call? Here they often take roosters and ducks that are unwanted. If yours doesn't take them maybe they can make recommendations.
The only person I'd think to call is the vet, since we don't have any humaine shelters that take anything BUT dogs and cats. I live in the middle of nowhere you'd think that they'd help every type of animal 😭

The only person I'd think to call is the vet, since we don't have any humaine shelters that take anything BUT dogs and cats. I live in the middle of nowhere you'd think that they'd help every type of animal 😭
I think that would be the best solution to call your vet. And if you happen to have a large dog crate he could hang out in it to protect your females.

Which State and and county are you in? There are organizations that help with drakes that need rehoming. You need to check ont he internet for "duck rescue near me" and "wildfowl sanctuaries near me". Even you local Facebook news group might be able to help you rehome your boy

I'm currently in a dilemma, one of my previous duck had died cause one of my male ducks would grab the back of her neck constantly where she was missing feathers and since she was smaller she couldn't do anything. My other two small female ducks are facing thr same problem and my second make duck NEVER did that to them. I now need to do something because my two females are in a rough looking state with all their feathers plucked off their body. I don't know what to do with my male duck and my family says to drop him off at the lake since I know he won't survive I don't want to eat him either since that's cruel in my eyes . No one would take him since its only him that's giving my other ducks a problem, and everyone who would take him wants to eat him. What should I do :(
I know you care about him, but I'm going to be really honest here
Dumping him in the wild would be the most inhumane option, even eating him would be kinder than that. Domestic ducks really struggle in the wild and don't survive long.
Of course, you don't have to eat him, he's a pet and I understand that, but I want to point it out.

Why don't you think anyone would take him? I'd try advertising him for sale, see if anyone shows interest.
The other option, if you're able to and if he's your only drake, is to get a couple more females. If he's overbreeding the current ducks, more may help prevent that.
It is that time of hear that hormones flare up and drakes can be quite aggressive with the hens, and eachother. So you could even try "drake jail", and separate him (see but no touch) for a while. See if he behaves better once the hormones calm down

You mention "second male duck"- do you have two? If so, you could set up a "bachelor" pen and have the two boys living separately to the girls.

I'm sorry that you're in this position :hugs

Back
Top Bottom