Help!!

TheHeartOfTheHen

Songster
Sep 1, 2021
So today when I was cleaning the coop, I noticed one of our girls was hanging out in the coop with her tail angled down. She wasn't moving very much, and didn't really respond when I called her. After a minute, I got the treats out and she soon came waddling out of the coop. She had her wings held weird, and seemed to be shivering. I held her for a minute until she stopped shivering, and set her down. Her eyes seem to be half closed, and her beak is open, but not panting or anything. I got her to eat some cracked corn, and she seemed to have a hard time eating it. I let her into the yard to see if anything would change, she just clucked a bit and spat out a piece of corn. The other girls are fine and seem normal, and this just started today. what is this? Is she okay??

Could be a number of things. Does she make a wheezing or gurgling sound when she breathes? Is she standing in a weird way, kinda upright like a penguin? Is there a bad smell coming from her mouth? Open her mouth and check for white membrane looking things or white-yellow cheesy looking lesions. Also, check her crop in the morning before she eats - is it empty or does it feel somewhat full? If it's full, is it squishy/watery or hard? Checking the crop in the morning is important, do it first thing tomorrow.

A picture or two might help as well.

She sounds like she's wheezing a bit, but I don't see anything in her mouth.
1000002073.jpg

I noticed one of our girls was hanging out in the coop with her tail angled down. She wasn't moving very much, and didn't really respond when I called her. After a minute, I got the treats out and she soon came waddling out of the coop. She had her wings held weird, and seemed to be shivering. I held her for a minute until she stopped shivering, and set her down. Her eyes seem to be half closed, and her beak is open, but not panting or anything. I got her to eat some cracked corn, and she seemed to have a hard time eating it. I let her into the yard to see if anything would change, she just clucked a bit and spat out a piece of corn.

She sounds like she's wheezing a bit, but I don't see anything in her mouth.
When was her last egg?
Is she pooping? What's that like?

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. If it's not emptied, then address that symptom.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom