Hemp bedding too fine - bad for chicks?

The Welch Chickens

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 18, 2023
Rhode Island
This hemp is a different kind then we used for our chicks last year. It’s very fine and looks as if the chicks would eat it. Is it a bad chick bedding?

They are about one week old and have used paper towel bedding so far.

image.jpg

This hemp is a different kind then we used for our chicks last year. It’s very fine and looks as if the chicks would eat it. Is it a bad chick bedding?

They are about one week old and have used paper towel bedding so far.
I was going to suggest waiting until they were at least a week old, then saw that's what yours are. That's what I do with horse bedding pellets. Then I put out grit in case they eat any of it, which of course they will. :)

I was going to suggest waiting until they were at least a week old, then saw that's what yours are. That's what I do with horse bedding pellets. Then I put out grit in case they eat any of it, which of course they will. :)
Thanks for replying!

Would you think the hemp or large size pine shavings would be better overall? I had the hemp on hand (I use it for my hens' coop), but pine shavings are "readily available" here.

Thanks for replying!

Would you think the hemp or large size pine shavings would be better overall? I had the hemp on hand (I use it for my hens' coop), but pine shavings are "readily available" here.
I've never used either in brooders but I've always wanted to try hemp actually. If I had no pellets, that's what I'd opt for. It's softer on their feet for one thing and more absorbative than shavings would be. Much more expensive though I'm sure!

Much more expensive though I'm sure!
The fine hemp isn't expensive, but the bigger kind is. The last time we ordered it was actually an accident.

The hens love the fine hemp. They actually refused to nest in the hay-filled nest boxes until the hay was replaced with the same hemp we use on the coop floor.
They're picky little rascals for sure! ;)

Back
Top Bottom