Hen and chick starter separation?

Chickens-246

Songster
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
I have 10 almost 4 week old Silkies in my 15 sqft brooder box. I have them on medicated chick starter which the instructions say to have them on this for 20 weeks.

I have one coop with heavy breed hens in it and in a couple of weeks the chicks should be ready to move to the coop.

How do you keep the hens from eating the chick starter?

I have gotten conflicting info on this so I am mixing both of my feeds (for the chicks and the hens) together. It is non-medicated organic feed and they are all out free-ranging all day. Everyone is happy--the hens are laying and the little ones are growing. It was the only solution I had to the problem since I can't separate them.

I had a thought after I wrote this post. Fence a small area in the coop, with large enough holes so the chicks can get in and out but small enough to keep the hens out and place chick starter inside of this. My hen feeder is too high for chicks and full of pellets.

Good idea, but what happens when the pullets grow big enough to reach the layer pellets? (Situation I have right now). As I understand it, pullets should not have layer pellets until, well.. until they start laying.

Back
Top Bottom