Hen attacked by a dog unable to walk

EZFarms

Songster
10 Years
Nov 23, 2013
northern california
Almost a month now I had a hen come to me that was attacked by a pack of dogs and the woman who saved her wasn't able to keep her.

She doesn't have open wounds and the only broken bones is in her wing tip. The issue is she's unable to stand or walk without assistance.

She eats just fine, poops just fine, seems like she can feel her feet and she can move her legs/feet and grip but she's unable to stand.

Closest vet is several hours away but I was able to send her a text to ask and she thinks it might be a crush/spinal injury and that she may heal on her own or she may not.

I have a sling made for her and I'm thinking of making her a wheelchair to move around more.

My worry is, if worst case scenario happens and she can't walk or stand on her own will she be able to have any quality of life? I don't have a job currently so I'm home alot so taking care of her isn't an issue but I don't want to force her to live if the quality isn't there.

Attachments

• 17059853804553327482285113399005.jpg
    17059853804553327482285113399005.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 44
Seems like she is eating and drinking fine? Alert and interested in her surroundings? Does she „talk“ to you (make sounds in response to you approaching or talking to her or calling her name)? Does she like cuddles? How is her body doing with all that lying and sitting around? Does she have sores? If she seems fine on all fronts I would definitely continue giving supportive care. I am asking about talking and cuddling because she will miss her flock as a special needs hen, but they can also bond to people. So in short, if she seems happy and not in pain, and you have the time to care for her and keep it that way, of course keep doing what you’re doing. She might even recover - nerves can take a while to heal, but they often do.

Seems like she is eating and drinking fine? Alert and interested in her surroundings? Does she „talk“ to you (make sounds in response to you approaching or talking to her or calling her name)? Does she like cuddles? How is her body doing with all that lying and sitting around? Does she have sores? If she seems fine on all fronts I would definitely continue giving supportive care. I am asking about talking and cuddling because she will miss her flock as a special needs hen, but they can also bond to people. So in short, if she seems happy and not in pain, and you have the time to care for her and keep it that way, of course keep doing what you’re doing. She might even recover - nerves can take a while to heal, but they often do.
She eats and drinks like a fat kid at a buffet so she's good on that front, she's alert though she does sleep alot off and on throughout the day. She's a little on the thin side but no sores that I see or feel. I'm doing what I can. Making sure I give her all the food she wants, a mix of supplements and she gets pain meds she also gets greens and sprouts.

She's not super up to cuddling and being petted but she will lay in my lap and watch tv. She seems more sore in some places rather than in pain which is understandable. Im.hoping she heals so I can introduce her to my disabled flock and she can have friends but until she's walking unassisted I've kinda kept her away from them.in general. I don't currently have a job so I'm home most of the day so she gets alot of time with me but I do still feel bad that she can't be around the others

I would try to limit her to mostly chicken feed with the occasional treat (egg, tuna,) just so she doesn’t become too heavy. Being fat can lead to egg binding or fatty liver disease, as well as making it hard for her legs to support her body. Some use human B complex 1/4 tablet daily for leg health. Hopefully she will recover, but I would do some lifting of her to her feet to keep some muscle tone. Here are some good examples of chicken slings and chairs and wheelchairs in post 5 and 11-15:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

I would try to limit her to mostly chicken feed with the occasional treat (egg, tuna,) just so she doesn’t become too heavy. Being fat can lead to egg binding or fatty liver disease, as well as making it hard for her legs to support her body. Some use human B complex 1/4 tablet daily for leg health. Hopefully she will recover, but I would do some lifting of her to her feet to keep some muscle tone. Here are some good examples of chicken slings and chairs and wheelchairs in post 5 and 11-15:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

She's actually a little on the thin side hence all the "junkfood" She came to me thin though so I don't think it has to do with being injured. I'm getting some.b complex probably Thurs then I'll be able to start her on that. I work her legs a couple times a day as well as try and get her to try and move herself (with supervision) otherwise she's laying down watching TV or in her sling. We are gonna make her a chicken wheelchair or atleast try that way she can move around more

Continue to update this thread and let us know how she gets along.
Definitely. I can do that. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks or month at the latest we will be able to get her into a vet and see if it's a crush/spinal injury or something else we are dealing with. Most times I can deal with just about anything injury wise but this is more than I can do on my own. As long as she keeps wanting to life though ill do everything I can for her

How is your hen this week? I am on month 3 with a hen barely survived a weasel attack on my flock. At first she had severe wry neck, could not move legs or flap wings, could not feed herself. She laid on her side for over a week, until I got her into a sling. It's been a slow recovery, but she is able to now eat on her own, fights me, jumps up and down, flaps quite well. I even had to trim her wings because she lifted herself out of her sling and out onto the floor. She still cannot level her body so I have props on one side.
Have patience and keep doing what you can to support her. Also might add 500 mg. Vitamin C and 400 mg. Vitamin E for nerve recovery. Scrambled egg, sunflower kernels, meat for selenium to help with absorption.

Back
Top Bottom