Hen died after dropping shell-less eggs for several weeks

rachel13helene

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2023
My 2 year old Whiting True Green, Greta, died a couple weeks ago. She had been laying “mistake eggs”, my daughter and I call them. She was dropping eggs without shells. It took a while to figure out which of my six hens was doing it. Then, I noticed Greta’s belly seemed swollen so I took her in to the vet. The avian vet thought the swelling was fat and was concerned about her egg problem. He prescribed antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds and they seemed to help (started laying eggs with shells, not good quality shells though). But then the second week she went back to dropping shell-less eggs and died two weeks after the vet visit.

My 5 other hens are all different breeds. One or more (can’t tell who) is now dropping shell-less eggs and I’m worried it’s happening to another hen. I felt all their abdomens and two might be slightly extra poochy but I could be wrong. Two hens are currently laying normal eggs. But three are still not laying (and might be dropping unfinished eggs).

I appreciate all the empathy expressed in my introductory post regarding Greta. She was the sweetest one of all. I miss her deeply. Not everyone understands the grief of losing a hen but you all do. These are my first hens and they have been incredibly helpful to my mental health over the last two years. I love them so much.

Thank you,
Rachel

70BFC451-55EC-4477-BDF7-1A780BB96A32.jpeg
B976FDA5-E5BA-4F8E-B38C-21F8E20FA023.jpeg
CE7EB886-021F-4B93-B94C-19CDBBC1BFFC.jpeg
42745616-613F-4F3A-9EE9-702D8C9B9F03.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom