Hen has injured beak. Should we be worried, and should we try to disinfect it?

ManOverBoard

Chirping
Apr 30, 2023
Hello everyone,
Upon putting our hens to bed tonight I noticed that one of our buff hens has some blood lines on her beak. We took her out for a closer look and noticed she had a laceration on the tip of her beak. We suspect it's from our hardware cloth. (We live in mink territory and hardware cloth is the only way we've found to keep the girls safe.) She seems alright, drinking and eating, but I'm worried about infection and if she uses it to heavily if it will break off. i'm including some pictures. Any advice on how to make sure our girl heals as best she can?
Much appreciated.

IMG_20230512_194707.jpg
IMG_20230512_194658.jpg
IMG_20230512_194655.jpg

Place her where she can't hit it against anything. Give her mash in a deep bowl and give her a deep water dish too. Make sure it stays clean, though I don't see a need to disinfect it unless you see dirt getting into it. If you do want to disinfect it, you can make a Saline rinse and clean it that way. Give her a couple of weeks to heal. If it doesn't break further, it should heal up and grow out over time.

Place her where she can't hit it against anything. Give her mash in a deep bowl and give her a deep water dish too. Make sure it stays clean, though I don't see a need to disinfect it unless you see dirt getting into it. If you do want to disinfect it, you can make a Saline rinse and clean it that way. Give her a couple of weeks to heal. If it doesn't break further, it should heal up and grow out over time.
Thank you! We just finished building a new coop so we'll put her in there!

Back
Top Bottom