Hen just sitting listless with humped back.

She was looking really good last night. We let her back out to free range with the flock at about 4:00. I couldn't tell by looking at her that she had been sick at all. No egg, but she's eating, drinking, and pooping.

I gave her a calcium tablet this morning. She's still looking pretty good, just a teeny bit not herself.

Do you guys still think it's an egg problem, as there was no egg (or anything like an egg) last night, but she was still sickly? Perhaps the bound egg was just a symptom of some other illness?

She was looking really good last night. We let her back out to free range with the flock at about 4:00. I couldn't tell by looking at her that she had been sick at all. No egg, but she's eating, drinking, and pooping.

I gave her a calcium tablet this morning. She's still looking pretty good, just a teeny bit not herself.

Do you guys still think it's an egg problem, as there was no egg (or anything like an egg) last night, but she was still sickly? Perhaps the bound egg was just a symptom of some other illness?
How has her crop been? Is it empty in the mornings? Maybe everything slowed down a little with being egg bound and it’ll take a few days to feel normal.

Possible that she has something else going on.

I'd continue with giving the Calcium for a total of 5 days. Checking her crop as suggested is a good idea.

She ended up laying another soft shell egg yesterday evening... and ate it. We've never had any egg eating problems before (from anyone!). Why did she do this? Did she think she needed the nutrients? Or because it was a soft shell?

She also laid one this morning, a regular hard shelled one with some calcium deposits. I went out to give her the calcium tablet and she was in the middle of laying it. I gave her the tablet afterwards anyway.

She ended up laying another soft shell egg yesterday evening... and ate it. We've never had any egg eating problems before (from anyone!). Why did she do this? Did she think she needed the nutrients? Or because it was a soft shell?

She also laid one this morning, a regular hard shelled one with some calcium deposits. I went out to give her the calcium tablet and she was in the middle of laying it. I gave her the tablet afterwards anyway.
Mine never hesitate to eat a soft egg, but have never touched hard ones. Supposedly Ravioli had an egg eating problem at her old home, that is why he wanted to get rid of her. But I do believe she was eating soft eggs. After laying an egg, chickens often do a little check on it and if it’s soft, it will break and usually they’ll eat it. I wouldn’t worry too much about that.

Sounds like she is moving in the right direction. You’re doing great.

Back
Top Bottom