Hen lethargic and weird poop

Sakwa_th

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2021
For a about a week this hen has not been doing well, she was walking around ok but slowly it started to decline. She's not able to walk anymore and wobbles.
At first I thought it was an impacted crop, which it probably is too, but now she sits and sleeps. She is also malnourished from the impacted crop as I had found it late unfortunately. I gave her more water for her crop and also electrolytes. She does drink well when I give her water and she will eat too. This morning she pooped dark liquidy poop that had scratch grain feed in it. It could be her crop clearing out but i want to make sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231024_115837_Gallery.png
    Screenshot_20231024_115837_Gallery.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20231024_115831_Gallery.png
    Screenshot_20231024_115831_Gallery.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20231024_115823_Gallery.png
    Screenshot_20231024_115823_Gallery.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 15
It is not, I don't think this is Ascites. She is not drinking anymore and is keeping her eyes closed.
Okay, had to rule that out.

For impacted crop you want to massage the contents, working them down the tube that leads to the rest of the digestive tract. But first you're gonna need to feed her some coconut oil to slicken things.
(DON'T MAKE HER REGURGITATE)

Poor girl, she doesn't look too well.
How old is she? When was her last egg? What's her diet?

Check her crop early in the morning and see if its empty or not.
Here's an article on crop issues.->
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Give her a good look over and see if there's anything else unusual or off.
I'm not sure how old she was since she was adopted. She eats regular layer feed and weeds from the garden. I had checked her crop the previous day and it was still full, but not as solid.

Okay, had to rule that out.

For impacted crop you want to massage the contents, working them down the tube that leads to the rest of the digestive tract. But first you're gonna need to feed her some coconut oil to slicken things.
(DON'T MAKE HER REGURGITATE)
Thank you, I didn't get a chance to feed her andy but I did have some set a side the day before since I heard it was recommended to make it more solid so they eat it.

Back
Top Bottom