Hen With Ascites (Water Belly)

peasant_girl

Chirping
Feb 18, 2020
I have a 2-year-old golden comet hen that developed water belly. I kept her inside, gave her a round of Tylan 50 injections, electrolytes, probiotics, and drained the fluid. The purple in her comb went away and she was acting normally so I put her back with the other hens. That was two weeks ago. I know it's not a cure but might buy us some time.

Today I noticed the fluid had built up again, so I drained it. I used an 18-gauge needle on a 60 mm syringe and drew off as much as I could, then removed the syringe and left the needle in and let it drip until it stopped. Anyway, today at the end a thick, yellow fluid started coming out instead of a clear yellowish fluid. I immediately stopped draining. What could the yellow liquid be from?

That is probably white blood cells or infection, possibly from egg yolk peritonitis. Tylan is not the best at treating a reproductive infection, and even something like amoxicillin or Baytril may not cure it as this stage. I’m sorry, but she may be going downhill fast. Draining is only a temporary fix, and infection and death are possible.

Back
Top Bottom