Hens not laying

FLpatriot

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2022
Background: I got 8 chicks in the spring. A straight run from tractor supply. Not sure their exact ages but I think most were hatched in April. 4 ended up being cockerels so we rehomed 3 and kept our roo Hen Solo and 4 pullets.

We moved them out to our farm to a spacious henhouse and run around June.

In July we purchased 15 3mo old pullets from a breeder. 5 barred rock, 5 Easter eggers, 5 Rhode Island reds. We also got 2 laying hens the same day from another friend.

5 days later we lost our first bird. (One from the new bunch). She got really lethargic, wouldn’t eat or drink and the next day dropped dead.

About a month later we lost our 2nd bird. Not know any better I didn’t do anything. When we lost our 3rd bird the same way I finally figured out we were dealing with Coccidiosis. Lots of diarrhea, and some blood in stool.

I did a round of Corrid in their water. Then we lost a 4th bird a couple days later.

I did a second round of Corrid in their water, ivermectin a week later, and VetRX.

Their poop is looking much better! And all the girls we have now look healthy except for one who is moulting.

The problem is that we have no eggs! I figured over the summer it was super hot here in FL, and they were still a bit young. And then once I realized they were sick I’m sure that came into play. But now we’re able 2 weeks out from treatment and still no eggs.

Sorry for the long post I just figured as much info as possible would help!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Were all of the deaths from the newer bunch? How old is the one that is molting? And is she from the newer bunch, as well? It doesn't appear you have any chickens old enough for their first adult molt.

Stress affects laying. Recovering from serious illness is very stressful. Also, you are located on the part of the planet currently experiencing shorter visits from the sun. That affects laying, as well.

Most chickens I have had started laying around 20-24 weeks in age. What date did you get the first ones? When there is an illness, it can affect laying. That may why you are not seeing eggs yet. Most first year pullets will lay over the first winter, even with shorter daylight hours. Laying hens need 12 hours of daylight to keep laying eggs. A small lightbulb set on a timer for 2 extra hours early in the morning can provide that extra light. Some do not like to use extra light, but let the hens take a break in winter. However, that can help if eggs are needed. Post some pictures of your pullets. Sometimes people get more cockerels than they think. Are you seeing bright red combs or any squatting?

Last edited:
The first one to get sick was from the 3mo old batch. The next one to die was another from that batch. The third was from our original set, and the 4th was from a pair that was already laying when we got them (we traded a rooster for 2 hens). They were actually laying when we first got them. We got 6 eggs and then they stopped completely. The one that is moulting is from that pair.

The breeder who sold us the 15 pullets sexed them and showed me how he identified their tail feather direction on the back. It was actually pretty interesting. After getting 4 cockerels from that first straight run I’ve gotten pretty good at identifying Roos and I don’t think that’s the problem. They should all be female.

I assumed the stress of moving from our backyard in the city to the farm was at play. And then also the stress of bringing in a whole flock of new birds. There was a lot of henpecking going on at first though now everyone seems to have found their place.

But these birds will at some point start laying right? I feel like maybe I’m doing something wrong here. Other friends with chickens have so many eggs and I’m feeling a little self conscious here.

Laying depends on many factors. You've already qualified these pullets for some of them. One you missed is genetics. Some hens are poor winter layers, needing a much longer day to trigger hormones than some other breeds. And production breeds will spoil you into thinking something is wrong with popular and heritage breeds when sex links lay early and often through the winter.

I would guess your friends that are inundated with eggs have production breeds.

The stress of the move might have stopped some. Answering the questions about red combs, exact ages, and any squatting might help. Do you know what breeds they are? I have had a few hens who never laid, or laid a couple of times a year. But that would be pretty rare to have that problem with most birds. I would love to see any pictures that you post of them.

As far as I know we do have production breeds. The breeds of all of our hens are listed in the OP for reference. Also we live in sunny florida where there is still PLENTY of daylight.

The problem is that we have no eggs! I figured over the summer it was super hot here in FL, and they were still a bit young. And then once I realized they were sick I’m sure that came into play. But now we’re able 2 weeks out from treatment and still no eggs.

As far as I know we do have production breeds. The breeds of all of our hens are listed in the OP for reference. Also we live in sunny florida where there is still PLENTY of daylight.

July we purchased 15 3mo old pullets
Your pullets are approx. 24-28 weeks old right?
Depending on breed, this is not out of line. Some breeds can start laying as early as 16wks, others can take up to 8months...

Stress of move, being sick and yes, reduced sunlight affects laying. You may not see your first egg until later this year after solstice when the days get longer.

You're right though, in FL you do have a bit more "sunlight" than some of us. I'm in NC and it's looks like you have 15minutes more daylight than I do at this time of year!

A laying pullet or hen generally requires 14 hours of Daylight to begin producing eggs. According to the interwebbing search thingamajiggers Daylight is at 11hrs and minutes (which will decrease each day until Winter Solstice). You're short on hours, just like most of us in the U.S.
This doesn't mean that the pullets won't come into lay very soon, it means your chances are lower.
Most pullets I've had late(ish) in the year didn't come into lay until very late December.

Just Sayin':confused:

1666580207717.jpeg

1666580270416.jpeg

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/decreasing-daylight-and-its-effect-on-laying-hens#:~:text=The amount of daylight hours,reaches 16 hours per day.

Back
Top Bottom