Hiring Someone’s Else to Hatch my Eggs?

J

I have all my eggs, and I’m letting them settle. ITs been 22 hours so far in a short 2 hours I’ll set them in the incubator. A lot of people have recommended having the humidity between 30-40%... but I live in the south east of Texas and it’s pretty humid. My incubator has been running for almost a week, and not once has it gone below 45 or above 50. It likes to stay at 47% most of the time, dipping around 45-50%. How can I lower it?
If you live in a humid area, then I would not add any water to bator, just let it get its humidity from the air. I had this problem last spring, real wet spring, incubator wouldn't go below 45% and I had 11 out of 12 shipped eggs hatch. You should be fine, just monitor your air cells. Good luck.

Hey guys, I just ordered 12 BCM eggs and 6 Ameraucana eggs for the grand total of $110... that’s a lot of money!! I’ve only incubated a total of three times, the first time confusing humidity and temp, second time I left for a week and the person didn’t read the instruction, third time power went out and lost them all. So, I’m not really trusting my ability. Plus, I heard BCM eggs are harder to hatch then the average egg. I’ve been thinking about getting someone else to hatch the eggs for me.. if I do this, how can I figure out if they have a good hatch rate? More inportent, how much should I pay them? It’s 18 eggs, and they wouldn’t have to raise the chicks, just hatch the eggs. Should I five more money the more successful the hatch is?? Maybe a free chick or two? They’re good breeds. Where would I even find a person to do this?? I’m so anxious. If you think hiring someone is a bad idea, tell me why and maybe give me some advice to have an extra successful hatch of my own!
I don't think there is a right or wrong answer about whether to use outside help. Like everything else, it depends on what kind of job you can do and what kind of outside help you can find. I have an incubator that I have struggled to find success with. My first 40 eggs of the year I put into my incubator and before it hatched, I had enough eggs to fill another incubator and no broody hens. I found an ad on craigslist and after a short conversation with them, I took 33 eggs to them. I hatched 7 out of the 40 in my incubator and the person I contracted with hatched 22 of the 33 I put with them and 7 were "infertile">

Okay, just to toss a monkey wrench in where you probably don't want one, are you using separate thermometers and hygrometers or using the ones built into the incubator? Solid accuracy of your heat and humidity goes a long way toward a successful hatch, and many of the ones that come with or are built into the incubator are notoriously off - on mine the temp was off by 9 whopping degrees! Doesn't sound like much when you're deciding what to wear outside on a summery day, but it sure makes a big difference in incubation.

Last edited:
It likes to stay at 47% most of the time, dipping around 45-50%. How can I lower it?
Well, I think you really would be fine...

But, My humidity in my bator varies at different locations just like the temp. So I would be sure and move the eggs around daily to combat this. In addition to asking how you are measuring? And where?

Wow, I thought we were humid... One way to lower humidity MIGHT be to open your extra plug if you have one.

We aim for perfection... We have target goals. But a little one way or the other... regarding HUMIDITY is usually acceptable.

We do our best or worst and life finds a way despite our best effort to mess it up... :oops: Oh the temp spikes and power outages, the missed turn or can't remember if it's even or odd. The bump. The oh no I should have gone into lock down yesterday. And the other horror stories people can tell!

Shipped hatch rates are expected to be lower. But did you read the section on shipped eggs?

I believe in case of detached air cells they suggest hatching upright. But that could also be an option if they are a little to small.

Also, if your incubation is bit higher than you want the whole time, maybe hatch at a slightly lower humidity... I would.

:wee :pop :fl :jumpy :jumpy

Incubate them upright, please, please. Humidity around 47% is fine. As others have said have independent calibrated hygrometer and thermometer to monitor humidity and temp. and go for it. Candle very infrequently and try not to mess with the eggs too much.

Back
Top Bottom