Homebirthers of BYC!

Our two bio children were homebirths. We were never supposed to be able to have children. I was diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis in December 2004 and was told that even with in vitro I would have less than a 10% chance of conceiving and about a 2% chance of carrying a child to term. I went to a healing service at my church in March 2005 and 1 week later our son was conceived. I called my gynecologist and he told me that I couldn't possibly be pregnant and that, even if I were, I would have a miscarriage. I promptly ditched that doctor and found a fabulous midwife who encouraged me in every way. I did continue to go to an OB for the testing I felt was necessary, but I was planning a homebirth. I had had enough of doctors and their insensitive remarks. I knew that God had planned this child's very existence and I wasn't going to let any more doctors take away the joy I felt in our pregnancy and birth experience. I did my homework, though, and I made sure we had everything ready. We lived 5 minutes from one of the best hospitals in the state, so I knew if there were any complications, we could be there very quickly.

I loved being at home and being around our three older children (we have three adopted blessings). I didn't see as much of them as I had planned to while I was in labor because I felt the need to withdraw and let my body do its work, but I knew we could see each other at any time. DS had his little arm up by his head and refused to move it, so I had to keep standing on my head (practically) to try to get him into a better postion. After 42 long hours of labor and three pushes, he was born weighing 7 lbs, 4 ounces. As soon as he was born, I knew I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

A little over a year later, our DD was born at home in a birthing pool. That labor was short and sweet...only 17 hours!
lol.png
With my second pregnancy I had the same midwife for the homebirth, but I used a CNM for the testing instead of an OB. The CNM was very supportive of my homebirth plans.

I hope we get to do it again!

When I was pregnant with my first, i knew I was interested in Home Births. My mother had to have a C- section with me and my brother, but the CNM I was going to said she was pretty sure I could have a baby the 'natural' way. So DH and I talked a lot about it, and decided that we'd have the first one in the hospital, just in case, and any other kids could be born at home. Well, after 7 hours of actual PUSHING, and the midwives breaking my tailbone to make more room, we had to have an emergency C-section. Without immediate medical intervention, my son and I would have died. needless to say, my daughters were born in hospitals too. C-sections also. So I'm a fan of home birth if you are SURE you can do it safely, but I recommend testing one out in the hospital first, just to make sure.

My first son was born in the hospital after 8 hours of labor 31 years ago. His sister was born in the same hospital with only 2 hours of labor with no medicine or epidural 30 years ago. Their little brother was my home birth baby. I figured after having such an easy time of it with the first two a home birth was only the perfect thing to do. My midwife lived about 30 miles away so that was some concern. Labor started around 10:30pm. Our midwife arrived at 12:30 when I let her know that contractions were 2 min apart and regular. She arrived and prepared herself to bring my youngest into the world. She let me judge when it was time to push. Everything was going well until she discovered that he was butt first. At that point she reached and secured his little feet and guided him the rest of the way. That was almost 26 years ago and all is well. He is a very special blessing. He still does most everything backwards but that's okay! After that experience and having now experienced seeing two of my grandsons being born in the hospital, one c-section the other with all the medicine known to man, I still would have all my babies at home. I agree that it isn't for everyone and every birth occasion but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Love having my babies at home,but the next will probably be a hospital birth due to bp issues.I joke that I am going backwards when most start with hospital birthing.First was a UC.9.6 lbs girl that I delivered and dh assisted with.Second was a 9.8 lbs. boy delivered by a licensed(and very hands off) midwife while dh watched with my then 3yo dd.First labor was around 11 hours long and the second was about 5.

I absolutely HATE labor pains.None of that orgasmic birth happened for me,lol.The after birthing pains were just as horrid.No complications.My only wish has been that I have smaller babies like my friend whose 7 hospital births all resulted in kids under 7 pounds.I guess after 2 big babies I can probably handle another,but being in a hospital will be tough.

Best wishes to everyone who is pregnant regardless of where you birth!

Back
Top Bottom