Homemade Electrolytes for Heat Stress

micstrachan

Addict
8 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
I had purchased a little pedialyte to have at home in case any of us (humans) get sick, but don’t like to use all that plastic. I’d like to make a recipe/formula that is close to pedialyte both for us, if needed, but also in case the chickens need a boost with heat stress. This is what I have:
  • Sodium chloride (iodized)
  • Sodium bicarbonate
  • Dextrose
  • Potassium citrate
Any thoughts on a formulation? Can I just weigh out in mg? I’m thinking something like:
  • 244mg NaCl (table salt)
  • 185mg K3C6H5O7 (potassium citrate)
  • 5.88g C6H12O6 (dextrose)
per 8oz of water. Does that seem right? I haven’t taken chemistry in 30 (ish) years, so I don’t recall how the ionization will work out here. Do I really have to use deionized water? Distilled? Is tap OK?
@casportpony, care to take a stab at it? Anyone else? Thanks in advance.

Which Pedialyte do you want to make it close to? Pedialyte Classic? I think there are other Pedialyte formulas, I cant remember?

How many fl oz of Pedialyte do you usually use per gallon of water?

If you use tap water, you are adding extras like calcium, magnesium, sodium, carbonates, etc. While in small amounts, I don't think tap water will make much difference from using distilled water, so If you can stand to drink your tap water it should be ok to use.

I think I would avoid using the iodine in the salt and use salt that doesn't have it added. See the link in my sig and download the vitamins speadsheet. It has a homeade electrolyte solution listed that you can play with to adjust the outcome.

Wow, that spreadsheet is great! Thank you! I only have iodized salt, but could get some plain NaCl. I have actually never added pedialyte to the chickens' drinking water before, so I'm not sure how far to dilute it. I have used sav-a-chick or life lytes (tablets) before, but the birds really prefer plain water. I'm just thinking it would be good to be prepared with electrolytes for times of stress only. And if it's just electrolytes and dextrose, it shouldn't alter the flavor too much.

We've been having higher than normal and lower than normal temperatures this spring. I anticipate a 15ºF upswing (at least) between today and tomorrow, and that's after at least a 10º increase from yesterday. The quick changes seem hard on the flock. I provide fans, misters, and ice blocks in their water on especially hot days, but I'd like to support them any way I can.

No problem.

If you have to buy salt, buy the "lite" salt. It should be 50/50 sodium chloride and potassium chloride and you won't have to use any other source of potassium such as potassium citrate and the chlorides are already figured up for that recipe.

The Pedialyte Classic formula is listed in that spreadsheet at 12 fl oz per gallon of water but you can change it to whatever and see the effects.

For the homeade electrolyte, "1x recipe" means 1 times the recipe that is listed in the instructions column. That is the only way I could comare it to the other things. You could change it to 0.5 times or 2 times what the recipe calls for and see the effects.

Wow, that spreadsheet is great! Thank you! I only have iodized salt, but could get some plain NaCl. I have actually never added pedialyte to the chickens' drinking water before, so I'm not sure how far to dilute it. I have used sav-a-chick or life lytes (tablets) before, but the birds really prefer plain water. I'm just thinking it would be good to be prepared with electrolytes for times of stress only. And if it's just electrolytes and dextrose, it shouldn't alter the flavor too much.

We've been having higher than normal and lower than normal temperatures this spring. I anticipate a 15ºF upswing (at least) between today and tomorrow, and that's after at least a 10º increase from yesterday. The quick changes seem hard on the flock. I provide fans, misters, and ice blocks in their water on especially hot days, but I'd like to support them any way I can.
How do I get to the spreadsheet...sorry

Back
Top Bottom