How big of an expansion do I need to make

2mnypets

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Saucier, Mississippi
The hubby and I have 20 standard chickens. Five each of RIW, NHR and BSL pullets and cockrels. We have made a 10x10 coop with a totally enclosed fenced run of the same dimensions. Taking into consideration that math doesn't like me, (although I've tried for years for a reconciliation
idunno.gif
), my total square feet for the coop would be 100 feet. Is that correct? If it is, then we currently have 80 square feet spoken for.

If so, here is the other problem.
hit.gif
DH and I both are addicts. See now that we admit it, we can start to fix it (but why)? We are wanting to increase our numbers. Since most places you order from require a minimum of 25 chicks (and if we run up to see 4H mom I can't begin to tell you how many, since she now has started to build Noah's Ark with her numbers
ep.gif
) is my math right when I say that we would need an additional 100 square feet of coop space for the additional chicks? Let alone any additional run space. Before we commit to anything, I want to ensure proper living conditions.
hu.gif

We were looking into getting 5 of the Silver Laced Wyandottes, 5 of the Buff Cochins, 5 Ameraucanas and 10 of the Silver Spitzhaubens. I want to say thank you in advance for any suggestions, advise or a number to a good "cheep therapist"!
lau.gif
Thanks everyone and have a great day.

Please everyone, suggestions are needed fast! We're deciding this weekend how many and in which direction we need to go because the shingles are going to be put on this weekend. If we expand, it's easier to do it now then later on. Plus it would be more expensive later on. Thanks again in advance!

Not good at math myself lol! The bigger the better for sure.

We have a 12X14 coop and the run is 12X18'. We have 19 larger breeds plus 8 Silkies (not in coop yet), and it seems to work for us. But, ours are alowed to free range during the day anyway-so they have lots of space and don't get bored by pecking.

Sorry I can't help much more.
Best wishes
smile.png

Here ya go;

You have 100 sq ft and 20 chickens (20x4=80), which means you have 80sqft taken.

This leaves 20 sq ft spare. In that 20 sq ft, you can put 5 more hens (20/4=5).

But you want 25 more!! 25 - 5 more pre-housed hens= 20 homeless hens.

20 homeless hens = 80 sq ft needed as the addition, which is 8 x 10 ft (or an 8 ft addition to the side of your existing coop.)

TAAA DAAAA!

-MTchick

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom