How can I deter hawks?

Killing a raptor is a FELONY in the eyes of the law IN ALL STATES. It's not worth loosing gun rights ,the right to vote,or owning property etc. Over killing a hawk.
It really sucks but there just trying to make a living like everyone else I guess.

Killing a raptor is a FELONY in the eyes of the law IN ALL STATES. It's not worth loosing gun rights ,the right to vote,or owning property etc. Over killing a hawk.
It really sucks but there just trying to make a living like everyone else I guess.

^ you may not be able to kill them, but you can use deterrence. Animals, sound, lights- there are options available for deterring birds!

I've lost 2 hens to Hawks. (At least I'm guess that since there is no sign of struggle or Inteuders otherwise) if I put bird netting up over top with some red ties on it so they won't fly in, is that a decent solution ? Also, now I am down to one lonely 10 month old hen. I read I should quarantine any new chickens I bring in but cannot buy another coupe for this process. Is it better to keep my Chicken alone ?

I've lost 2 hens to Hawks. (At least I'm guess that since there is no sign of struggle or Inteuders otherwise) if I put bird netting up over top with some red ties on it so they won't fly in, is that a decent solution ? Also, now I am down to one lonely 10 month old hen. I read I should quarantine any new chickens I bring in but cannot buy another coupe for this process. Is it better to keep my Chicken alone ?

The quarantine is to protect the birds (both new and original) from contracting any possible disease. It's a precautionary measure, but unless you plan on keeping them separate forever, you need to introduce them at some point.

I've gotten new chickens many, many times and have never run into problems with integrating newcomers with the original flock. Expect some pecking order bickering but otherwise I say you're good to get more chickens!

Back
Top Bottom