how do i get my drake to eat more

rahaf

Chirping
Apr 18, 2023
so ive had this drake, ever since we got him hes literally just been like a statue, all he does is follow the only hen duck we have around and just looks out for everything, i rarely see him eat and whenevr i do hes eating THE CATS FOOODDD šŸ˜­ i even got a mixed flock feed just for him with additeves i add and i still see him try to eat the layer feed for the hens!!! i rarely see him eat but hes acting just as normal but i want him to eat the feed thats meant for him, a bit ago hes been i think molting? and his bill ia slightly pinkish from the top, i add some multivitamins in their water every month since ik for sure he drinks water but, anyone has advice? i dont like to rely on the multivitamins much cuz they have calcium, and whenever i give healthy treats he just sits there and watches and "quacks" while my chickens and duck finish it he doesnt even swim and is just busy looking out for our hen even tho we have no predetorsšŸ˜­

Attachments

• 20230616_170302.jpg
    20230616_170302.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20230516_222656_129.jpg
    IMG_20230516_222656_129.jpg
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 3
He doesn't know you don't have predators, he's doing his job. You also probably have predators, you're just not aware of them.
Raise the cats food so they only can get to it and feed all your birds a flock Raiser and a source of oyster shell.
Get nutritional yeast for your ducks to put on their portion of food.

He doesn't know you don't have predators, he's doing his job. You also probably have predators, you're just not aware of them.
Raise the cats food so they only can get to it and feed all your birds a flock Raiser and a source of oyster shell.
Get nutritional yeast for your ducks to put on their portion of food.
thats exactly what i do!!! the layer feed i have is just bc its leftover from the last time i bought it so once its finished ill keep buying the flock raiser, and i feed the hens their eggshells they have pretty strong shells, i add multiple herbs and i do add the nutritional yeast in all their feed even the water sometimes to make sure he gets it, ig hes sooo serious abt his jobšŸ˜­ they live in a rooftop so no ground predators at all and even our native hawks r too small to kill even our chickens, i rarely see the hawks too! he actually thinks our weakest chickens r a threat to her and keeps chasing them whenever they just wanna eat w her lol

thats exactly what i do!!! the layer feed i have is just bc its leftover from the last time i bought it so once its finished ill keep buying the flock raiser, and i feed the hens their eggshells they have pretty strong shells, i add multiple herbs and i do add the nutritional yeast in all their feed even the water sometimes to make sure he gets it, ig hes sooo serious abt his jobšŸ˜­ they live in a rooftop so no ground predators at all and even our native hawks r too small to kill even our chickens, i rarely see the hawks too! he actually thinks our weakest chickens r a threat to her and keeps chasing them whenever they just wanna eat w her lol
They don't need any herbs.
Don't worry, no healthy animal will not eat when there's food.
Are you sure he's a drake?

They don't need any herbs.
Don't worry, no healthy animal will not eat when there's food.
Are you sure he's a drake?
yes he had a drake feather that he lost a while ago, and i saw him mate with the hen duck, and his voice is raspy, ig he does eat but not in front of me much since he includes me as a threat too and looks out when im around lol, i usually add the herbs for my chickens but thought the ducks could use them as well since they eat the same feed! hes been like this the moment i got him i just thought to ask since i havent seen someone with a quiet and serious of drake as him and this is my first year raising a flock so i wanna learn as much as i could!
edit: also!! he is pretty good weight when i carry him so i am assuming he just eats when im not around

Back
Top Bottom