How do I treat E coli - narrowed it down on my pet, Mary (fecal clear)

She also loves to watch TV sometimes at night. She and her sister poults were raised inside until they were a little older and got their fully feathered, because they were first time birds for me and a turkey meat bird breeder told me they “would die” if I put them out on the ground before 4 months old. I listened for the most part or until it got much warmer. They just roosted on my raised veranda, like she does now. She’s a pet.

And I do reiterate I have / had an avian DVM from PA over seeing her care. I am a professional “critter sitter,” (mostly equine and other farm animals, not birds), so respectfully don’t need the lecture on proper animal husbandry. That’s not what I asked.

I also want to say I don’t come to this place to have someone be condescending. I have been a professional farm manager most of my life for horses and equines. I am well aware of what a sick animal is. And a strong indicator of that is how many poops an animal does a day and what it looks like.

I am not a rookie with animal husbandry and veterinarians on equine and other farm animals don’t even doubt me they just sent me medications. When my first turkeys got attacked by a neighboring dog that was rogue when they were free ranging the local vet thought that I could nursing back to health because everybody was closed because of Covid restrictions last summer. I told him the bird was too wounded for me to nursed back to health and I just needed her to be euthanized. He didn’t doubt in my ability for a moment even though I was new to birds. So I don’t come to this place for somebody to be condescending to me about an animal being sick or not sick. You don’t know me and I don’t know you so please don’t be so condescending that’s not what I come here for. So don’t underestimate me being some idiot and rookie newbie to farm life. I’m not.

You did not read my entire post you just read the first sentence and went off on a tangent, again. If you’re not going to be nice don’t respond to my post please. I posted elsewhere where somebody else can be nice. My bird does not live indoors. Read the full post if you want to. Don’t fly off the handle reading a line or two. I really didn’t appreciate it the more I thought about it. “I know what a sick animal is.”

I know 'through the grapevine that poultry farm doesn't incinerate their dead birds.
Shouldn't that be illegal?
I used to manage an organic garden about 15 feet from the edge of a commercial alfalfa crop and when they sprayed herbicides, multiple times a year
In order for it to be a organic you have to be 5 miles for any commercial farm that uses herbicides in Iowa, maybe wherever you are should switch to this law too.

Of course “it should,” but they aren’t organic and believe it or not, in NC feedlots only have to pass water inspection one time a year, plus they literally can do anything they want as far as spraying anything.

They are good farmers, but top dressing w chicken litter and applying 2-4-D Amines and whatever it takes to increase yields. That’s just good farming and bacteria is organic. It’s going to happen.

What’s gross is USDA lets them feed chicken litter to cows as nutrient rich feces, which creates a double whammy (why my Postmaater who is both a chicken and cattle farmer dropped out of local USDA chapter).

I just want these folks to put in the sedimentation lagoon they are supposed to have, but the state regulatory agency is looking the other way. Times have changed since my deceased father was state sedimentation control commissioner under several governors. Nobody listens to me, especially during CoVid, unless I want to get into politics and I don’t

Cattle eating “nutrient rich chicken litter” is a USDA accepted pratice across the board in the US,” because I guess we feed poultry so great.

All the more reason to eat organic, grass fed beef. Cannot pay me to eat anything but organic beef anymore. And because I now love birds, can hardly eat them either. Definitely will never eat a turkey again, after nursing one of Mary’s siblings back from a dog attack.

And the only reason I didn’t build the coop I bought materials for is, because the two started fighting when they started nesting. A predator got her sister after I separated them. Poor Sara wouldn’t back off talking smack and I tried ao hard to keep them separate. A predator got her when I was out of town.

So Mary lives on a 16 x 10 raised / open veranda and free ranges during the day, until my neighbor got a puppy a few weeks ago. Wasn’t much reason to build a coop for one. She’s really bonded to me. She’s got a $20,000 luxury coop/veranda w heat lamps, bale of clean shavings and bale of clean straw every 2 weeks, after I disinfect boards underneath etc. I clean it daily. Far exceeds any coop I could build.

I bought $690 of electric poultry mesh and electric battery from Premiere One Supply out of Iowa to put up and in the process of fencing around my house to keep neighbor’s puppy out. I’ll keep taking her out on her long walks, because she needs the exercise. Used to freerange 10 acres before they got the puppy.

because I guess we feed poultry so great

It's actually because cornish cross are such food mongers that some of what they poop out is undigested feed. Still has a decent protein content. Not saying I like this practice, but it's interesting to see the problems of agricultural efficiency (or lack of efficiency rather) being tackled by people who are very far removed from their food.

Back
Top Bottom