How do we help a gosling grieve and continue on after a death?

5paceDandy

In the Brooder
May 20, 2022
Yakima, WA
I became the proud goose daddy to a pair of goslings in mid-July. I had ordered an unrelated m/f pair with the hopes that they could, eventually be eachothers life-mate. Tragically, after only a month, our little boy gosling, very suddenly, developed a viral infection and within two days we had lost him. I had been very interactive with the pair of them and after losing our lil boy I, in part because of my own grief and in an effort to ease the grief of my lil girl, I began taking her with me almost anywhere I went. I am beginning to think that might not have been the wisest decision as now, anytime I leave the room, she squeaks/screams, non-stop till I return to her. How can she and I move forward in a way that is healthy for all involved?? Should I look into getting her another goose companion for her? She is only about 5-6 weeks old and I believe the chances to buy more gosling might be past… the situation being as it is, would it be better to wait till next season comes and try to introduce another lil boy to our, by that time young adult goose? Or is there a better course of action I might take? Thank you all for your advice and responses!

I became the proud goose daddy to a pair of goslings in mid-July. I had ordered an unrelated m/f pair with the hopes that they could, eventually be eachothers life-mate. Tragically, after only a month, our little boy gosling, very suddenly, developed a viral infection and within two days we had lost him. I had been very interactive with the pair of them and after losing our lil boy I, in part because of my own grief and in an effort to ease the grief of my lil girl, I began taking her with me almost anywhere I went. I am beginning to think that might not have been the wisest decision as now, anytime I leave the room, she squeaks/screams, non-stop till I return to her. How can she and I move forward in a way that is healthy for all involved?? Should I look into getting her another goose companion for her? She is only about 5-6 weeks old and I believe the chances to buy more gosling might be past… the situation being as it is, would it be better to wait till next season comes and try to introduce another lil boy to our, by that time young adult goose? Or is there a better course of action I might take? Thank you all for your advice and responses!
I’m so sorry you lost your little boy!
Introducing another gosling or goose would be the best and easiest thing, it’s normal for her to feel scared and cry when she’s alone, geese are naturally never alone in the wild and if they are their chances of survival drop considerably, so they fear solitude.
You could try leaving her with a stuffed animal, or somewhere she could watch tv safely, ultimately she’ll be more comfortable with a friend though.

If you can’t find a hatchery that still has goslings available try the Buy Sell Trade forums here, craigslist, Facebook groups and Facebook local livestock groups, you’ll probably have better luck finding a goose or older gosling there that someone needs to rehome rather than at a hatchery this time of year.

Definitely now is the time to introduce a partner for your gosling, but options will be limited. You should becareful to have some partition ready as any rough play or agression could be fatal. I had mine a week a part and the size and strength was drastic. My eldest was really trying to get at them, but today they're one flock.

Attachments

• sissienolike.PNG
    sissienolike.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • stroll.JPG
    stroll.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom