How do you call a chick home?

"The key to this working well is to remember that their poultry food is their primary diet along with whatever they find free ranging. Treats are just that, treats. They should be small in number and infrequent so that they know they're getting something really special. Overdo it and you risk the possibility of them wanting only treats." Backyard Buddies

OK, help me out here b/c I'm having trouble picturing this. If I need to get them out of the yard and back in the coop every evening, don't I need to give them treats every day? How can I give them infrequent treats every day? Help!

My hens think that layer pellets fed to them one by one are treats! Don't need to worry about them so much not finding home. Just put them in their coup for a week without letting them out, and from that point on, they should all come home. Just get a head count. As for treats, they don't have to be unhealthy. You can give them a handful of oat meal and bran mixed, or even just table waste scraps from your veggie cooking. My birds just come when I am outside and look at them. Yelling out "CHICKENS!!!!" just makes them run faster and try to fly a bit.

I save my left overs and give that to them at night when they are getting ready to return to coop. The few that are still not ready I just yell Hey Ladies! And they come running 90 miles an hour to me. If they hear me during the day or hear the screen door slam they coming running because they know I will have a little something for them. Even if its just a piece of bread. Its funny because they think my husband is the source of food too. They coming running up to him and he asks do I give them something? lol They will learn very quick I wouldn't worry to much.

Mine have a huge run, which I haven't let them out of yet, but anytime I walk by and say 'Chick Chick Chickies' even in a normal voice, they all run to the fence to see what I am bringing. If I have a dish in my hand, I don't have to say anything! Even if it's just the dog's food!

I let my hens out every morning and they go wherever. Come dusk, they make their way home to the roosts that they like best. The only problem is that one prefers to roost in my shed on my chop saw. New chop saw now has chicken poop on it. The door to the shed doesn't close all the way and she will always find a way in. I just carry her out and put her on the roost with the other girls. They will find their home.

My other problem is when I go out for the evening and I leave before dusk. I have to heard them into the coop. I just put my arms out and walk behind them with the coop in front. They get the idea and run for the safety of the coop.

Thanx again everyone for helping me calm down!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom