How do you tame a chicken?

crazylilchick

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
Missouri
Our chicks are 3 weeks old and we try to hold a few of them every day but there are 25 and we can't hold everyone each day. They all freak out when we reach in to catch one and we end up chasing them around the box and scaring them. Once they are are caught they settle down. Are we doing more harm than good? How do you tame a chicken? We plan on keeping 8 of them and we want them to be comfortable around us.

It's all in the handling.

If it were me, I'd seperate the 8 you're hoping to keep and work with them more than the other17, but still work with the other 17 as well.

All of my chickens are tame, so is my rooster...even though he got ticked off at me the other day and spurred me, I can still come up to him and hold him, and I did teach him how to "wave" to me, too.

All will jump for fruits and just jump on command, and are just social little devils.

That's just my .02...how I'd do it.

BUT, I've never had more chicks than I intend to keep, so seperating may not be adviseable. Hopefully someone with more experience can help you there.

Good luck!

Kristi

In my experience, they are skiddish when they are young. We are big and scary, ya know!
gig.gif

They are easier to work with when they are a little older and can be bribed with treats, such as tomatoes, grapes, and lettuce. All of mine where scared like that as babies, but now they follow me all over the yard.
Just take your time and be present... The more they see you, the better! When you pick out the 8 that you are keeping, you can concentrate on them more!

My lil ones were just like that when I had themin they're brooder. The're 4'1/2 weeks old now and they're in the coop. I just get in there and chase them around now but when I have lettuce and lil treats they come right up to me and eat ot aof my hnd and almost lt me pick them up but I catch them anyways. I ould keep holding the 8 u want every day cause u can tellthe difference in a coulple of weeks they;re start to lOVE You. Good luck with those

This is what worked for me.
hu.gif
I just imagined I was a baby chick...and saw this HUGE SCAREY MONSTER leaning over the side of my home...grabbing me. RUN RUN RUN !!!
ep.gif
So....I let them come out...and sat with them instead.....offered them treats more at thier level. Now, when I go in the brooder coop....I cant walk in, I am covered by 20 little peeps!! All wanting to get in my lap....for a treat!
love.gif

Good luck, as they get older, they should calm down a bit.

Back
Top Bottom