How far will they range?

I live right by a very busy highway pretty much smack dab in a business area. The acreage is from 60 years ago when there was no transients, consant police sirens, and car lots everywhere. The chickens stay away from the road and usually don't venture far from their house, the big funny looking chicken house (the humans house) or the sheds. They should be fine and are pretty good at getting back home.

Can't you get them in the habit of coming home at sundown by offering food or a treat when they get back? That may work but I've never done it myself.
My dad has a call for his girls. They hear him yell "CHICK CHICK CHICK" and they come running from all corners of the Earth!
gig.gif

We've got our coop in the backyard and a side access road with no gate / fence. If given the chance my girls all go around the house, down the side access road and into the front yard. That when the neighbors start to call / knock on the door, "Your chickens are out!"

They've got a huge backyard they haven't explored, but for some reason they always end up in front of the house. They do seem to always come back, but I'm always worried they might not or that a dog might get to them.

u should definetly build a fence very quickly. 2 of my chickens have left the house and travelled over the street ( i live in brisbane CITY australia) to be picked up by my nieghbours on their daily walk. my answer: BUILD THE FENCE VERY SOON! .I DONT WORRY MYSELF ABOUT MY chickens, but they can get lost in the forest.

Well, my chickens go across the road, into my neighbor's yard, into the woods, etc etc. One got hit on the road two weeks ago. They will go far, in my experience, and they actually LIKE going on the road because of the grit and because it is warm. ARGH!

I agree that you should teach them to come when called. It's very easy to do. Treats, treats, treats. Evenwhen they are in the brooder, call thme "CHICKENS!" or "CHICK CHICK CHICK!" and then give them treats. Mine come running like a herd of elephants when I call them, no matter how far they are.

I bought 3' deer/garden fence(it's plastic) and ran it along the boundray between the next house over and mine. It was easy with plastic 4' stales and metal anchors along the bottom between each stake. I put up 200' in about an hour. This works because as they are busy scratching the ground it tends to stop them from going too far in the bushes, and they really don't care to fly over. They are more interested in looking at the ground than up. So far it is working. You could get higher fencing.It was $54'00 for 6' tall and I cut it in two. Merry

Back
Top Bottom