How likely is it for a hen to become egg bound?

Ragfrey

Songster
Apr 19, 2023
South Louisiana
Louisiana
8x8 coop. 16x24 run
11 hens
-Wyandottes
-Spec Sussex
-Black Copper Moran
-Sapphire Splash
-Easter Eggers
-Welsummer

I have been researching and reading a lot, learning everything I can and trying to be prepared. I think I am knowledgeable and ready for if/when of coccidiosis and bumble foot…

I was thinking about how dangerous egg bound can be. Lethargic, penguin walking, a lot of squatting….recs of a warm epsom salt bath.

I was think though and was wondering, what are the actual chances any of my 11 will get eggbound.

I mean, is this a rare occurrence?
-happens every now and then?
-or hell yeah…it’s gonna happen, better be ready for it?

With that thought…
What about coccidiosis?
Any of you experienced chickens owners never have coccidiosis in your flock?

No one can answer that.

Reading up on illnesses/disease, conditions, injuries, etc., and how to address them is always a good idea. It's called being prepared.

Stressing and worrying about these things is not good for you.

Feed your hens a nutritionally balanced poultry feed for the majority of their daily intake, see that they have fresh clean water daily. Keep their coop/run/housing relatively tidy.
Look them over for lice/mites here and there.

Observe their behaviors and how each one acts and interacts with one another. Being observant and noting something "off" is usually the first "symptom" that you'll "see".

Don't borrow worry, enjoy your flock.

Thank you for your reply, appreciate the information.

Tbh, I am not stressed and worried, keep a very clean coop/run (sand) and visit them everyday after work trying to establish who is going to be who within the flock. Six are 8wks and five are 6wks and their pecking order and personalities are showing/growing daily.

Just wondering how common egg bound and coccidiosis was with chicken owners that have had a lot of chicken experience.

Common? Not common? Happened with 1 out of 50hens? 100? 150?

Just curious to know.

Just wondering how common egg bound and coccidiosis was with chicken owners that have had a lot of chicken experience.

Common? Not common? Happened with 1 out of 50hens? 100? 150?

Just curious to know.
Personal experience, not common at all. For example: one entire year, 43 hens, no egg binding at all. I've had chickens for a lot more years than that, and I'm not sure I've ever seen an eggbound hen. But that particular year I had more hens than any other year, so it makes a nice example of hens & amount of time.

But reading these forums, there sure seem to be a lot of threads about it.

I don't know if there are differences in breeds, or in how the chickens are cared for, or if people are making threads about hens that are not really eggbound after all, or there are just so many thousands of owners that even uncommon problems show up fairly often for some of them.

(I've had hundreds of hens over the years and none ever crowed either, but there are a number of people on here that do have crowing hens-- an example of a fairly rare thing that does show up when you have a large enough group of people discussing their chicken experiences.)

Edit to add: I've never personally seen coccidiosis either. That one can vary a lot by climate, so I may have just gotten lucky about which places I have lived.

I have seen both of those issues twice in four years with my own flock of 20-30. Also saw it a couple times in the flocks I helped watch.

You do want to be ready and have the medicines on hand, but they are pretty easy fixes. I am actually glad when the diagnosis is Cocci or eggbound, because it can easily be fixed.

Great information right there.
I just didn’t know how prevalent those two were.

And yes… @NatJ
There are a lot of threads, YouTube videos and Facebook posts on both of these issues. It actually makes one think it’s a very common occurrence and to expect it on a yearly basis. Glad to know from experienced owners that it’s not really that common.

I have Dobermans and a comparable issue would be bloat/stomach torsion. It is a very much talked about subject and highly feared for it is terminal if not identified and treated quickly. As much as it’s discussed and inquired on, I don’t find it to be a very common occurrence.

I have had chickens for 12 years, and never had an egg bound hen or a chick with coccidiosis. However, I have had 2 out of 3 bloodhound dogs die from bloat (stomach tortion.)

It is just good to know what to do if you see the signs of either disease, the age to watch for it, and what treats those two problems. Coccidiosis can be treated with Corid/amprollium, sulfa antibiotics, or toltrazuril. An egg bound hen may be given human calcium citrate 600mg with vitamin D once a day if showing signs.

Back
Top Bottom