How long to wait? When to step in… if needed

Ok thank you! I just checked on them and I don’t know that I trust the thermometer, since it says 102 and they are curled up underneath it
have you calibrated the thermometer? It may be a bit off. If theyre sitting underneath theyre likely ok.
Are they huddled up, or peeping loudly?

If they bunch under the light, they're too cold. If they line the far edges of the brooder and peep loudly, they're too hot. If they settle in an area just outside the ring of heat, or scatter throughout the brooder, they're just right.

Ok thank you! I just checked on them and I don’t know that I trust the thermometer, since it says 102 and they are curled up underneath it

The chicks instinctively know what temperature they need. Their behavior is your best thermometer.

I have not done the test of sticking it in a half melted cup of ice because it is also a hygrometer and is what I used all throughout incubation. I have one more egg I am hoping will hatch and I have another one in there. The chicks were huddled together under it, but when I came back maybe 20 minutes later the thermometer said 104 and they had moved to the side still cuddling. I immediately raised the heat lamp. What I don’t get is how it is fluctuating wildly. It was too low earlier

If they moved to the side (of the heat zone) and are still cuddling, it's FINE. If they moved to the side (of the brooder) farthest away from the heat, it's too hot. It's better to be too cold than too hot. They can cuddle to conserve heat (and actually need less heat than we realize, IMHO) - but being too warm in the brooder can cause pasty butt.

I have not done the test of sticking it in a half melted cup of ice because it is also a hygrometer and is what I used all throughout incubation. I have one more egg I am hoping will hatch and I have another one in there. The chicks were huddled together under it, but when I came back maybe 20 minutes later the thermometer said 104 and they had moved to the side still cuddling. I immediately raised the heat lamp. What I don’t get is how it is fluctuating wildly. It was too low earlier
it you can get one, a thermostat may prevent the temperature from fluctuating. You can set a certain temp, and it should prevent the heat getting above or below it.
I use one for my exotic animals with success.
If you get really worried, a brooder plate might work better, thats what I used instead if a heat lamp.

I used a Mama Heating Pad for the past several years and it works very well.
The Hubs got me a heat plate and it's a wonderful thing to have too.

I rarely brood chicks indoors, they get scooped out of the bator and go directly outside. With heat plate or heating pad cave of course. They learn sleep/wake cycle right off the bat, plus they become acclimated to being outside quickly.

I'm not opposed to anyone brooding indoors, I've done that too, but found getting them outside works the best for me.:)

Back
Top Bottom