How long untill budgies go in nest box?

Nenad

Songster
May 4, 2021
Serbia, Bačka Palanka
My pair of budgies have everything they need for breeding. I made them cage big enough for breeding and nest box is on outside almost at top on the side of cage. They didn't go in there, about 5 days or more since they are in their new cage. I hanged spray millet nest to the hole of nesting box, they ate it but they weren't interested in nest box. Do I need to place it inside of the cage at bottom so they can maybe explore or go in there? Will they go in current nest box and how long do I need to wait for them to do inside if I don't place nest box inside of the cage?

My pair of budgies have everything they need for breeding. I made them cage big enough for breeding and nest box is on outside almost at top on the side of cage. They didn't go in there, about 5 days or more since they are in their new cage. I hanged spray millet nest to the hole of nesting box, they ate it but they weren't interested in nest box. Do I need to place it inside of the cage at bottom so they can maybe explore or go in there? Will they go in current nest box and how long do I need to wait for them to do inside if I don't place nest box inside of the cage?
A pic of the set-up would help. Does the box have a little perch infront of it? If not, then they'll most probably not notice it. And placing it in the bottom of the cage isn't going to help as then the female will not consider it as a place to lay eggs. Spray millet also isn't going to work as they are busy eating in there, and will not notice the hole. And 5 days is a very short period of time. Mine usually take about 1-2 weeks to even enter the box. And sometimes they show no interest in the nest box and then suddenly lay an egg. You should encourage their breeding mood too. Give them light for a longer period of time, give them egg food, varied diet and privacy. And also, most females go in their nest box when no one is looking so it is also possible that indeed she is going in there, but you arent noticing it. And if you are religiously keeping an eye on them, they may feel disturbed and not lay or get interested in laying. So my best advice for a bonded pair would be -
1) Give them peace and privacy
2) Increase day light hours
3) Place a perch in front of the hole
4) Wait patiently for about 1-2 weeks more

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom