How long will a 50 lb bag of layer feed last!?

Kidcallous wrote

I JUST convinced my husband to let me do this. His quote: "These chickenns better pay for themselves in eggs"

The only way I got my chickens was to promise my DH that I wouldn't get any more inside cats. I had four, but had to put 2 down within a month. I said "You got a deal".
I still have 2 inside cats, one 14, and one 19. I had always told him I HAVE to have chickens before I die
hit.gif

Jen
I have four cats three inside and one outside and the outside cat thinks the chickens are hers she watches over them all the time

I completed step one of becoming a mother hen. I bought all the 2x4's and fencing and chicken wire.

My question for today is this: I plan on having 3 - 4 standard sized chickens, leaning toward barred rocks and rhode island reds to start. No more than 4 chickens.

How long will a 50 lb bag of layer feed last for 3 or 4 chickens? I plan to give them our leftover vegetables/rice after dinner, and let them free range for about an hour in the late afternoon. What do you think??
About 130 grams (four and a half ounces) a day per bird.

I completed step one of becoming a mother hen. I bought all the 2x4's and fencing and chicken wire.

My question for today is this: I plan on having 3 - 4 standard sized chickens, leaning toward barred rocks and rhode island reds to start. No more than 4 chickens.

How long will a 50 lb bag of layer feed last for 3 or 4 chickens? I plan to give them our leftover vegetables/rice after dinner, and let them free range for about an hour in the late afternoon. What do you think??

About 130 grams (four and a half ounces) a day per bird.
I have 3 hens a barred rock, Rhode Island Red and a silver laced wyandotte. A 50 pd bag lasts them about 10 weeks. But they are loose in their pen part of the day and running the yard the other part of the day. They only go into their house at dusk.

Back
Top Bottom