How many coop doors for 1000 chickens?

I have seen plenty of those threads on BYC. Seen people give a wealth of information but the threaded starter never comes back. Got to admit it bothers me a little. I mean, people took the time to give their time and knowledge and the thread starter just disappears, not even leave a thanks or even a like. OR WORSE..... They start a new thread a couple of days later asking for more help. Yet they haven't bothered to respond to their previous thread. But oh well, nothing you can do about it.
Yeppers. Not sure which annoys me most, the thread starters who don't come back, or the people who keep replying without assessing the thread situation(by reading thru the whole thread and making an intelligent decision on whether to reply or not).

the people who keep replying without assessing the thread situation
Well those you have to do a case by case stance. Even tho a thread may be old, whatever the person commenting may still have merit.

by reading thru the whole thread
This one is a short read and it wasn't too long ago. However there are some super long threads, and who has time to read the whole thing.

Still there are those cases where a person IN THAT thread says something or has information, that another person needs. In that case should the person directly contact the person in the thread itself or in private? To me leaving a comment to the person in the thread is better since it may be off putting for someone, you never had interaction with, suddenly PMs you.

by reading thru the whole thread and making an intelligent decision on whether to reply or not).
On that same note... There are so many times where a person sees a threads and decides NOT to add to it then, when they start their own thread about the subject, they get jumped on and told there are already threads ON THAT SUBJECT. Damned if you do damned if you don't.😒

Everybody play nice and be patient with others. It would be nice if we all read far enough back in a thread to know what has been discussed before entering the conversation. It would also be nice if we allow people space to be human and make errors without judging them as stupid or lazy. I have responded to very old threads before, because they were still interesting to me and there was more to say on the subject. Sometimes I did not even know or care about when the thread was posted. If you don't want people to respond to an old thread they should be removed. Commenting /discussing history is accepted study methodology. If you never read it it is new to you and you can still be interested in old topics and address them. At least read the opening page of a thread and the last few pages to get an idea of what has been discussed, when they are a 100 pages long. Or keep your comments until you have time to read the thread. It is so easy for experienced old hands and cocky young fools to be overly critical of others who you disagree with and newbies to say and do things that are less than ideal. Slow down and give an extra minute of thought before you comment and even more time before you criticize a persons comments. I am guilty of the being overly judgemental and going too fast sometimes and others may be too slow and not make good decisions, as well. Help each other and be forgiving and patient. We are here to help each other and learn.

Back
Top Bottom