How much feed do I use for Mash?

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
I always have starter feed available to my 5 week old flock but found they REALLY enjoy when I make a mash. I’ve been giving them breakfast mash (and it’s so cute how excited they get for it). But I don’t actually know how much to be giving them. This morning I wondered if I’m overdoing it. I’m not actually measuring, just eyeballing. I use a metal pie pan and they do eat it all by mid day. Is there an actual formula for how much feed per chicken? Does it even matter?

I always have starter feed available to my 5 week old flock but found they REALLY enjoy when I make a mash. I’ve been giving them breakfast mash (and it’s so cute how excited they get for it). But I don’t actually know how much to be giving them. This morning I wondered if I’m overdoing it. I’m not actually measuring, just eyeballing. I use a metal pie pan and they do eat it all by mid day. Is there an actual formula for how much feed per chicken? Does it even matter?
When they’re chicks it’s hard to gauge how much isn’t it? As long as it doesn’t become moldy you’re fine so I would just keep an eye on it like you’re doing. How much wet mash they eat doesn’t matter, and with the summer heat I think it helps with hydration. I feed some to my flock every few days and include electrolyte water since it’s brutally hot here.

When they’re chicks it’s hard to gauge how much isn’t it? As long as it doesn’t become moldy you’re fine so I would just keep an eye on it like you’re doing. How much wet mash they eat doesn’t matter, and with the summer heat I think it helps with hydration. I feed some to my flock every few days and include electrolyte water since it’s brutally hot here.
I was thinking the hydration could help too. It’s so hot here. Heat index today 112F. I don’t have any electrolytes but maybe it’s time to get some. They’re in shade all day but poor things are having some tough afternoons.

I was thinking the hydration could help too. It’s so hot here. Heat index today 112F. I don’t have any electrolytes but maybe it’s time to get some. They’re in shade all day but poor things are having some tough afternoons.
I can definitely relate, I feel so bad for them! Some damp soil in the shade helps with cooling too. A block of ice in a kiddie pool does too and my chicks played king of the mountain all summer lol.

Back
Top Bottom