How often do chickens shed their intestinal lining? When is it ok and not ok?

There is a very broad range of 'normal' in a lot of chicken things. Very few things are totally cut and dried with only one 'right' answer. If everyone is acting normally, eating, drinking, no one acting off, then just some observation is needed, make sure nothing changes for the worse. If it gets worse, rather than better, or someone doesn't look quite right, then more investigation is needed. But diet, and changes in the diet, can cause all sorts of changes in color and consistency of droppings. They find different things to eat in different seasons, which can lead to sudden changes. Berries often cause concern as they are mistaken for blood in droppings. Feeding whole grains and seeds (and especially corn) can sometimes be an issue, they can pick and choose parts they like and leave the rest, which can sometimes cause imbalances. It can also reduce their intake of the other feed. It's a really good idea to keep all the extra's (everything except pellets or crumbles) to 10% or less of their total diet.
I know it's talked about everywhere, but diatomacious earth does not help with internal parasites. It works when it's dry, not wet, and the inside of a chickens gut is wet. It's really a waste of time and money, and not worth the respiratory irritation that it could cause from breathing the dust. Ivermectin is also not the best option for worming, some parasites are becoming resistant to it. So next time you worm it would be better to use Safeguard (either the liquid goat wormer or the horse paste) or Valbazen. Both of those work well on everything except tapeworm. Since everyone is seemly acting normally, I don't think you need to be too concerned, just continue to watch as always, for anything that might change.
In my flock when I see increased intestinal shed, it's usually roundworm. My environment has a heavy worm load. So I worm regularly to keep them healthy. Every flock is different, every environment is different.

How are your chicks? I just started a thread with a similar issue…
Hi, none of my chickens are chicks. I have 12 two year olds, and the remainder are over 6 months old. I ended up seeing some worms in a foamy yellow poo so I decided to do a round of Safeguard (goat dewormer). I'm going to do the 5 day process in their food as a mash. I just got my dewormer in the mail yesterday (from Amazon) and I just went out and weighed my chickens to get my flock weight and gavethem their first dose. I was asking questions on another thread and got these directions on how to do the mash:
If I use valbazen can the eggs be eaten? I've read that safeguard for goats you have to toss the eggs for 24 days or something like that or could you feed them back to the chickens?
Valbazen would require withdrawal if that sort of thing worries you, so would Safeguard if you use *any* of the doses mentioned in your thread.

However, if you were to use a very small dose of Safeguard 5 days in a row you would not need to toss the eggs. Safeguard in small doses for 5 days in a row is approved for use in laying hens.
safe-guard-goat-dewormer-(125ml).jpg
safeguard.jpg

The approved dose is 1 mg/kg for five days and that works out to ~0.023 ml per five pounds for five days.

If you don't want to hassle treating each bird you could try feeding it to them in a mash. If I were going to do that this is how I would do it.

1. Count number of birds to be treated.
  2. Estimate the weight of each bird.
  3. Calculate flock weight. For example, if you have 10 leghorns at ~4 pounds each and 10 RIR's at 6 pounds each, that's 100 pounds of birds.
  4. Calculate the amount of Safeguard needed. In my example it's 100 (weight of flock) divide by 2.2 (this converts to kg) times 1 (the dose needed) divide by 100 (the amount of medication in one ml) 100 ÷ 2.2 x 1 ÷ 100 = 0.45 ml
  5. Set aside the amount of pellets or crumbles they will eat in a day in a big container.
  6. Mix the 0.45 ml of Safeguard in some amount of water, two cups maybe? Add the water/Safeguard mixture to the crumbles, stir a little, then add more water until the feed is nice and wet. Mix *very* well.
  7. Repeat for five days and this should treat large roundworms and cecal worms, but will not treat capillary worms and this should not be done if your flock has capillary worms.
Note: If one has capillary worms in their flock a higher dose is needed and that higher dose will require egg withdrawal.

Please, always check my math, 'cause I do make lots of mistakes. :oops:

safeguard_syringe_1-png.1514442

http://www.dosagehelp.com/dosage_by_weight.html

How are your chicks? I just started a thread with a similar issue…
Hi again! I just finished my 5 day mash Safeguard dose today. I noticed the poos have gotten more firm. There were a lot of loose and runny ones before. Now they are basically all back to firm, and "normal" poos.
The shed linings were in firm poos and runny poos before. Now the shed linings are all in firm poos, and the shed linings are way less now too. So I think worms were my issue.

Back
Top Bottom