How to get a goose broody

peafowl_Lover

Songster
Aug 22, 2023
Ireland
Hi I have 1 goose her name is Dandelion, her sister passed away at the start of the year. So I was thinking should I let her hatch goslings? But the question is how will I get her broody? I wouldn't want too many geese so would she hatch 2 eggs? She will be 4 next year.

Every goose is different on broody. Most geese love there eggs and there nests but Broody and follow trough depends on the goose. Good geese that have the potential of making the completion to hatch. Some clues.
Will build a good nest
Will start laying really frequent but usually daily.
Will protect there nest by covering it to hide but not necessary watch it. They have allot to do like get the nutrition they need to lay more.
They will lay on it at night when its cold out but not start the hatch
They will add more eggs till there satisfied
then and only then do they go broody. But not all go broody.
They want a clutch of eggs so they can all work together to assist in the hatch. After all she cant do it all on her own. she needs the rotating eggs to help keep the others warm.

I guess what Im saying is you can let her try. But her goal is if and only if she goes broody will probably be more like 6-12.

Ill try 5 or 6 eggs. She is an embden goose, last year she covered her eggs and sat on them at night but I took them away so this year I won't. So are the chances she won't sit? She is usually friendly but last year she hissed when I got near the eggs. She never hatched before.

Ill try 5 or 6 eggs. She is an embden goose, last year she covered her eggs and sat on them at night but I took them away so this year I won't. So are the chances she won't sit? She is usually friendly but last year she hissed when I got near the eggs. She never hatched before.
You never know its all up to her. Good luck to both of you.

Back
Top Bottom