How to get a new breed recognized

Gigachad poultry

đź’–
Premium Feather Member
Dec 24, 2022
Vicenza IT
So I'm going to make a new dual purpose maran breed. It's a large black chicken that lays large eggs and has golden laced feathers. I'm still working on a breed name like the black golden laced maran or giant golden laced black cuckoo maran I don't know? However I do need to know how to get a breed recognized in Europe which is where I live? I know they must breed true and you need at least 5 generations and at least 5 breeders who are breeding generation 5 or higher. I know it's actually called F1 F2 F3 and so on, but I need some help. Also if any one else is making or has made a new breed can you give me some tips?

Sounds like this would be a new variety rather than breed.

There are a lot of impressive poultry exhibitions across Europe but unfortunately I'm rather not familiar with the organizations that host them. I'd think doing some searching for poultry associations in your specific country might yield best results.

It sounds like you want to create a new variety of Marans? What country are you in? You will have to contact your poultry association to find out what the requirements are. In the American Poultry Association, the process for getting a breed or variety recognized is explained in the Standard of Perfection.

As far as tips for making a new breed, I will try to lay out a few. The first is to have a clear goal so that you can develop a vision for how you will bring this goal to reality. For now, I wouldn't worry about a name or recognition, this is a long ways down the road. Figure out as precisely as you can what the appearance of this breed/variety will be. Once you have the appearance and physical description in mind, you should figure out what the genotype of this ideal bird would be. Once you have the genotype you can start making a list of breeds and varieties that you need for your project. When you have the ingredients figured out, you should try to get a rough idea of what matings you will make each generation, how many you will need to hatch, how many you will raise, and finally how long this project will take. Then you can plan out your facilities. Figure out how many separate pens you will need to house your breeding groups, how many brooders, how many growing pens, what size and number of incubators, etc. How you go about this can of course vary widely depending on how much money you want to budget to your project. There is a cheap way and an expensive way to do everything.

Lastly, what will make or break your project is competence and consistency. Your project is like a baby, it is completely helpless and entirely dependent on you. Do a search for all the threads people have made about making a new breed and compare that with how many new breeds you are seeing. Find out why that is, the answers you get will help you protect your project.

Back
Top Bottom