How to keep water fresh for up to two weeks without using a hose?

I'm not sure how that one would work. Do you have that exact thing? If so I'd think the float and hose would have come with it.
I don't. Just trying to save some money. I can buy two float valves for $16 since I already have the bucket and waterers. I think the other thing is just a hose. I'll take some time when I get back to think on this.

I don't. Just trying to save some money. I can buy two float valves for $16 since I already have the bucket and waterers. I think the other thing is just a hose. I'll take some time when I get back to think on this.
Sounds good, just thought I'd mention it as an option. Have a safe trip!

The issue is not them running low on water, but needing to dump the water and change it because it grows red algae or gets slimey after a few days, right?

Drop a peice of copper in the water.

I do this for a two-gallon water-jug my cat uses. I use a big old british copper penny, the size of a silver dollar. No copper, I must change the water at least weekly or it gets slimey. With copper, I can wait 'til it's nearly empty and the cat has gotten fuzz and stuff in the drinking bowl part and the whole thing is due for a wash.

No, it won't put enough copper into the water to harm your animals. This phenomenon is the reason for copper plumbing. A length of leftover copper plumbing pipe will do you perfectly. A foot of new copper pipe will probably set you back about $3 at the hardware store.

Last edited:
The issue is not them running low on water, but needing to dump the water and change it because it grows red algae or gets slimey after a few days, right?

I do this for a two-gallon water-jug my cat uses. I use a big old british copper penny, the size of a silver dollar. No copper, I must change the water at least weekly or it gets slimey. With copper, I can wait 'til it's nearly empty and the cat has gotten fuzz and stuff in the drinking bowl part and the whole thing is due for a wash.

No, it won't put enough copper into the water to harm your animals. This phenomenon is the reason for copper plumbing. A chunk of leftover copper plumbing pipe will do you perfectly. A foot long chunk new will probably set you back about $3 at the hardware store.
I’m tempted to try this!! Thanks.

@tranquiliti I understand that silver works too, better, even, and that the mechanism of action for these somehow makes it so bacteria don't develop resistance.

People used to drop a silver spoon in the milk jug to keep milk fresher longer, and you could probably store the cream-pitcher from that silver-plated coffee-service somebody gave you in the bottom of the chicken waterer and get some use of it that way.

No, it won't put enough copper into the water to harm your animals. This phenomenon is the reason for copper plumbing. A length of leftover copper plumbing pipe will do you perfectly. A foot of new copper pipe will probably set you back about $3 at the hardware store.
Yes!! Exactly the tip I was looking for. Had no idea. I don't have time tomorrow to go to the hardware store but I'll drop some pennies in. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom