How to move a heavy chicken tractor

Chicken Man Can

Chirping
Nov 27, 2022
I underestimated how much this tractor made of treated 2 by 4s would weigh, it's likely close to 300lbs. I have to crank style retractable wheels on one end, but didn't want to make it 4 wheel because then its not steerable. My idea was to have a third swivel wheel on the other end, I can't think of anything better than that. Any ideas?

Throwing this out there....We use a dolly like in this video to move a big boat around. It may be the solution to needing to steer as well as lift. The coop in the video needs modified for ventilation and predator proofing but the dolly is a decent idea.

I’m not sure how far you have to go but when I move heavy things like this I use a jack, put skids under it and pull it with a tractor. You can put pipes under it too while pulling and remove when done. If you use pipes you have to move them in increments.

Pics?

Seeing the design may help with ideas.

What kind of tires/wheels does it have? Exactly how big is it? What is the terrain like? Which end is the lifting end? What kind of leverage is built in (length of handles)?

Currently two 8 inch solid rubber tires (may replace with 10 inch pneumatics). Terrain is mostly dirt, and fairly level but slightly bumpy. It's 8 x 10. The handles are 4 feet and lift the thing off the ground with such ease my granny could do it.

What I'm thinking is just having the non wheeled end ATV movable.

Back
Top Bottom