How to Trap a Mink?

The Dim Side

Songster
Mar 16, 2021
Hello!

Last night, as I was putting the geese to bed in the barn, I saw what I think was a mink under the old horse feed bins. It scurried up the back corner, and I saw its face. Then it crawled back down and ran through an apparent opening into the chicken side of the barn and ran out into the awning that's covered with plastic for winter, but there's an opening there, too. It ran outside and around back over to the goose side of the barn and kept trying to get inside. The doors are sliding doors for horses, but we block them up more at night with large boards and stuff. It didn't seem to be able to get inside, was just hissing out there. I stayed with the geese till like 2:30 last night to make sure it didn't get in.

So we'll be focusing on shoring up the insecure spots, but I'm also looking for best ways to catch this mink. And what's the best way to dispose of it? Release it somewhere far away or kill it? I just watched a video of a mink attacking a flock of geese and killing one easily, so now I'm really paranoid. The chickens have a more secure coop inside their side of the barn, but the geese aren't as secure and are defensive enough that they'd fight till the mink kills them. So I really want to get rid of this thing asap. Thanks!

signal-2023-02-06-121211.jpeg signal-2023-02-06-121213.jpeg

With predators, it's better to kill than relocate. Most predators don't benefit from being relocated and often become someone else's problem or end up coming back to the area they were originally trying to get into. You can dispose of it by throwing it away in a trash bag. I think letting it outside might attract unwanted predators and bugs.

Last edited:
With predators, it's better to kill than relocate. Most predators don't benefit from being relocated and often become someone else's problem or end up coming back to the area they were originally trying to get into. You can dispose of it by throwing it away in a trash bag. I think letting it outside might attract unwanted predators and bugs.
Plus, in many places relocation is illegal.

No luck so far! Haven't seen it again since either, but I'm not optimistic that it won't still come back around.

Back
Top Bottom