Howdy Doody! I got a broody!

So i just went and got her off the nest and put her by some food outside. She just carried on like i was plucking her feathers. She pecked at the food a bit. Then just walked around clucking loudly for a few minutes than went back to the nest. Does this mean she is likely leaving earlier in the day when im at work? Im tempted to put my baby monitor out there.

I have a broody hen who really neglects herself when she’s sitting. She’ll only get off every two or three days. She’s such a sweetheart though, she’s never even pecked me once. Her daughter who has also been broody has been much better at taking care of herself. Some are just better than others at getting off and eating/drinking properly.

You can remove your hen each day preferably at the same time and so long as she eats and drinks something she should be okay. They lose condition when they sit, it’s inevitable. You can try putting her down further away so she has to move around more and that might help snap her out of it for longer periods to eat/drink more. If the rest of your flock is giving her a hard time when she comes out, that may also be encouraging her back on the nest faster.

Once it gets to day 18 I recommend just leaving her there and letting her do her thing.

Back
Top Bottom