Hybrid Issue

NashobaLosa

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 24, 2012
Now I've been reading about pheasants and have discovered quite a bit of negativity regarding hybridization. I have some questions that didn't quite get covered in the old thread I read that was from a few years ago. Feel free to answer as many or as few as you like.

Presuming that the breeder is interested in preserving a rare/endangered species like the Edward's, Lophura edwardsi...

1. Who determines what constitutes "pure"? Even in the wild there are variants and subspecies and natural hybrid populations of many species.

2. Won't the artificial selection of being in captivity for generations select for traits that may make reintroduction in the case of an extinction event unlikely? Alpine species raised at sea level, or unconscious selection for docile temperament...

3. At what point is a bloodline too pure? When you limit the gene pool you increase the likelihood that every individual will be susceptible to infectious disease beyond the issue of negative traits.

4. In a case of severely limited gene pool, is it preferable to breed unsuitable specimens or outcross to a closely related species?

Presuming a breeder creating hybrids or crosses...

5. Why? There are numerous beautiful species that need to be preserved... Is it for looks, vigor, or the drive to tinker?

6. How do you ensure you don't introduce genes in pure bloods, or do you care?

7. I have heard implications that people who pass off crosses are in it for the cash... how is it more profitable than simply breeding true? One half or more of your parent stock will still need to be the more expensive species and I imagine the loss of specimens that can't pass as pure would negate any savings from parent stock.

General...

8. What are the implications for the notion of species when fertile crosses are so common?

9. Why is it considered acceptable to breed in other chicken breeds to acquire a trait and not pheasants. It seems to me that at least some species could be considered semi-domestic and already have mutations that are bred for. Where is the line crossed exactly?

10. Why are there not studbooks or registries or at least documentation of some sort? It seems that would solve a lot of issues for both sides.

I can see both sides in a way but some of the reasons I read left me with more questions. Please converse in a civil manor, I know its a bit of a hot topic in some circles.

To answer your first question.The morphologic criteria length and breadth were used for the examination of the purity of fowl by three methods: Tabulate graphic method, determination of the size of concentration, analysis with counter. The tabulate graphic method by use of peak value as only criterion of valuation has suitable proved for the screening test. A qualification of the degree of purity is reached in the form of classes of homogeneity with the criteria peak value, first and second classes of the neighbour by the determination of the size of concentration. The quantitative certainly of the assertion increases by the analysis with counter from six statistical parameters (frequency of peak value, frequency of the sum from peak value, first and second classes of the neighbour, number of taking classes in the specific range of species, coefficient of variation, coefficient of correlation, divergence of specific index of the form in the species).

yes wordy but i understand that with global warming setting off climate change. overhunting, and cross breeding there needs to be a gene pool. for reintroduction of many species in the furture..I am sure there are studbooks or registries or at least documentation of some sort? It seems that would solve a lot of issues for both sides. Here in Front Royal, VA The Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute in Front Royal (formerly the Conservation and Research Center) started primarily as a breeding center for endangered birds and mammals. Today, the black-footed ferret, Eld's deer, and several species of Pacific island birds are being bred to maintain genetic diversity and provide reserves for highly endangered species.
The current priority for SCBI's animal collection is veterinary and reproductive research. By living in controlled environments, the birds and mammals—most of them little-known and endangered—provide ideal subjects for intensive study and the rapid acquisition of urgently needed information. Findings from these studies provide critical information for the management of captive populations and valuable insights for the conservation and management of wild populations. ok put my two cents in.

yes wordy but i understand that with global warming setting off climate change. overhunting, and cross breeding there needs to be a gene pool. for reintroduction of many species in the furture..I am sure there are studbooks or registries or at least documentation of some sort? It seems that would solve a lot of issues for both sides. Here in Front Royal, VA The Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute in Front Royal (formerly the Conservation and Research Center) started primarily as a breeding center for endangered birds and mammals. Today, the black-footed ferret, Eld's deer, and several species of Pacific island birds are being bred to maintain genetic diversity and provide reserves for highly endangered species.
The current priority for SCBI's animal collection is veterinary and reproductive research. By living in controlled environments, the birds and mammals—most of them little-known and endangered—provide ideal subjects for intensive study and the rapid acquisition of urgently needed information. Findings from these studies provide critical information for the management of captive populations and valuable insights for the conservation and management of wild populations. ok put my two cents in.p.s. if you care the conservansey allways needs donations.

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/SCBI/AboutUs/FrontRoyal/default.cfm

I've seen chicken and duck hybrids with ringneck pheasants,it seems the pheasant isn't a picky breeder,I think most do hybridizing purely for the hobby and not for prophet

Back
Top Bottom