I’m overthink - duckling numbers questions

Duckinghopeful44

In the Brooder
May 4, 2023
Hi, I’m probably overthinking this… I only have two duck eggs left in the incubator. The few others weren’t fertile or stopped developing. I know hatch rates for ducklings can be low. I’m on day 21 and they both look good. 🤞 My concern is what happens if only one hatches? I know they should not be alone. Do I need to go out and purchase a duckling? Can stay by itself for 28 days while we try to hatch more ducklings? Hopefully this isn’t an issue but just trying to think of all possibilities

Hi, I’m probably overthinking this… I only have two duck eggs left in the incubator. The few others weren’t fertile or stopped developing. I know hatch rates for ducklings can be low. I’m on day 21 and they both look good. 🤞 My concern is what happens if only one hatches? I know they should not be alone. Do I need to go out and purchase a duckling? Can stay by itself for 28 days while we try to hatch more ducklings? Hopefully this isn’t an issue but just trying to think of all possibilities
It would be best in that situation to look for another duckling or two. 3 is a good minimum when it comes to ducks/ducklings

Trouble with hatching more, is 4 weeks is a very long time for a duckling to be alone, and 4 weeks is a massive age/size gap, so they wouldn't be able to live together until grown up.

All of the above. I’ll post a picture in a little. I hope I’m wrong. I’ve only been candling through the air cell because it’s been so dark but last night I looked at the pointy side of the egg and realize that there is now quite a bit of space and no veins and just doesn’t look good. The other egg is almost totally full and moving. I’m so sad.

All of the above. I’ll post a picture in a little. I hope I’m wrong. I’ve only been candling through the air cell because it’s been so dark but last night I looked at the pointy side of the egg and realize that there is now quite a bit of space and no veins and just doesn’t look good. The other egg is almost totally full and moving. I’m so sad.
Pictures would help. From the air cell end
I sure hope it's just a little funny looking And not quit.... :(

Oh, boy. Yes, definitely quit. And then there was one…. The other part of this is that these ducks were never going to live out their lives with us. We were going to hatch them for the fun and education of hatching and having them as babies, and when they got old enough, they were going to go to the local 4-H farm. It doesn’t feel quite right to go buy a duckling because of that situation. I don’t know what to do! If I went and picked up eggs today to put in the incubator would they be we too far apart in age? I am so kicking myself for not taking more eggs to begin with. Lesson learned. But I guess then we’d have the whole lock down humidity situation with new eggs in there also.

Oh, boy. Yes, definitely quit. And then there was one…. The other part of this is that these ducks were never going to live out their lives with us. We were going to hatch them for the fun and education of hatching and having them as babies, and when they got old enough, they were going to go to the local 4-H farm. It doesn’t feel quite right to go buy a duckling because of that situation. I don’t know what to do! If I went and picked up eggs today to put in the incubator would they be we too far apart in age? I am so kicking myself for not taking more eggs to begin with. Lesson learned. But I guess then we’d have the whole lock down humidity situation with new eggs in there also.
Can you ask the farm if they have a duckling a similar age, if your remaining egg hatches? If not, the best thing would be to adopt a friend for it, when it hatches, and then they both go to the farm together, I think.

Back
Top Bottom