I hear a Fisher Cat out there!

Quote:
Yes, I just checked and we don't have them here, whew. You said exactly what I was thinking--we have enough scary beasts without the fishers!

This is from Wikipedia:

The fisher is found from the Sierra Nevada in California to the Appalachians in West Virginia and north to New England (where it is often called a fisher cat), as well as in southern Alaska and across most of Canada. Fishers are present in low density in the Rocky Mountains, where most populations are the result of reintroductions. There is recent evidence, however, that a Montana population persisted in a refugium despite extensive fur trapping in the area during the 1800s and 1900s. Fishers are most often found in coniferous and mixed forests with high, continuous canopy cover.

They are common in my neck of the woods but we rarely see them in the farming areas as they would have to cross open fields. They catch a pretty penny for their fur as well so they get trapped lots.

When I first read this I thought of a fishing cat, which was strange cause they come from Africa. Then I looked this up in my mamal book and fishers are in the marten family. I thought it was really interesting how they killed porcupines, they repeatly bite them in the face. Coyotes are the num .one predator of barn cats here.

We have the fisher here too in nh:| and so far i have not had one screaming thru my bedroom window but they usually do and its such a scary eerie noise I hate em hard to catch too:)

Back
Top Bottom