I keep putting iodine on my rooster’s warts but I dont know if it’s even helping

Sero

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2023
IMG_0486.jpeg

I know my rooster has some type of pox and i heard you can treat it with iodine...its been 2 weeks and i dont even know if its helping at this point. More bumps just keep appearing.
IMG_0487.jpeg

Theres also a bump thats starting to develop on his eyelid. I dont know how to manage those so if anyone has any suggestions please say.

Some people do indeed put Betadine on fowl pox scabs to help dry them out, but it still will last about a month. Most of the info from poultry colleges say to leave the scabs alone, so that you don’t spread the pox. They don’t look very bad, so I would just wait for them to clear up on their own.

Some people do indeed put Betadine on fowl pox scabs to help dry them out, but it still will last about a month. Most of the info from poultry colleges say to leave the scabs alone, so that you don’t spread the pox. They don’t look very bad, so I would just wait for them to clear up on their own.
What about the yellow ones? Not on the rooster shown here but i have two little hens who caught the sickness but for some reason they dont have black wart looking bumps but rather more yellowish. I can show you some pictures if needed

Pictures are welcome, but really nothing is needed to treat the dry form of fowl pox. If they are numerous around the eyes where they affect their eyesight, I would then use some Terramycin eye ointment in the eyes. That can help prevent a secondary infection.

The highly infectious lesions eventually fall off onto the ground. The major concern is that chickens are always pecking and picking the soil. If they pick up and eat or swallow a lesion, they will get wet pox which is more serious and life threatening than dry pox.
Putting iodine directly on the lesions kills the virus and helps shrink lesions. When and if the iodine treated lesions fall onto the ground, they wont be infective.
Avoid putting iodine on lesions around the eyes.
As mentioned by Eggcessive, Terramycin eye ointment will prevent bacterial infection if the area around the eye is scratched.

What about the yellow ones? Not on the rooster shown here but i have two little hens who caught the sickness but for some reason they dont have black wart looking bumps but rather more yellowish. I can show you some pictures if needed
It could be a mild strain of the virus or it's just getting started. All you can do is observe your birds.
I recommend giving your birds probiotics to help boost their immune system:
I recommend Probios as a top dressing on feed or Avian Super Pack mixed in water to drink.
bd1ea5d1de5aee6ce6a88075e84986fc_image_304x330.jpg 08d7799d52eea6c1d4302847ce58911cavian super pac.jpg

Last edited:
The highly infectious lesions eventually fall off onto the ground. The major concern is that chickens are always pecking and picking the soil. If they pick up and eat or swallow a lesion, they will get wet pox which is more serious and life threatening than dry pox.
Putting iodine directly on the lesions kills the virus and helps shrink lesions. When and if the iodine treated lesions fall onto the ground, they wont be infective.
Avoid putting iodine on lesions around the eyes.
As mentioned by Eggcessive, Terramycin eye ointment will prevent bacterial infection if the area around the eye is scratched.
If they were to get wet pox, how would I know and how would i treat it?

Wet pox is when you see yellow lesions or plaques inside the beak and throat. There is no treatment for this virus. Most chickens with fowl pox will not develop wet pox. But if one does, may sure they are eating and drinking.

Back
Top Bottom