I need some information on raising Nigerian Dwarf Goats!

I just started this goat thing, so I will only answer the ones I know.

1.) Depends on your market. Here, they can go for $300+ EASILY. And we aren’t just talking grown bucks.
2.) Definitely need two (or more:p)
3.) All year.

Oops. Seems like you have lots of answers already. I will stop there.

Got 4 registered NDs for $1300. AND this was after a 4H discount. Expensive with great reason though…they are lovely ladies.
Oh, yes. Registered does are pricey! But they are awesome.

I'll probably end up getting 2 wethers unless I can find 2 does for close to same price.
When I got my doelings they were listed at 150 each but the lady offered 200 for both together, people will often really hook you up if you are at the right place at the right time. I really hit it off with the people I got mine from and I'm already talking to them about sheep next spring!

I'm kinda new to goats, so I'm going to relay what I've learned thus far. I still have a lot to learn about wethers, since I don't have any.

You need a minimum of 2 though 3-4 are happier. I just had 2 does and they were ok. Now that I have another doe and her doe kid everyone is happier. Stress is a huge problem with animals, and you need to minimize that.

I've seen wethers around here for $150. Another farm gives them away, so it depends. From what I've heard thus far, farms opt to band them so castration doesn't cost much to do.

Does can live together. Does and wethers can live together. Bucks need to live with other bucks.

Wethers don't need much feed at all, if any. The urinary calculi they're prone to are phosphorous stones, so it's important to make sure their diet is balanced with more calcium than phosphorous. If you buy a commercial feed or mineral, take both of the calcium numbers and divide by the phosphorous number to get an idea of Calcium:phosphorous. It should be 1.5:1 or 2:1. Absolutely do NOT buy Nutrena Show Goat feed, the Calcium:phosphorous is completely unsuitable for any goat at 2.2:1-2.8:1.

Parasite problems can be very challenging, and there is a lot of resistance to chemical dewormers. IMHO there's not much point in stuff like medicated feed. I opt to do regular fecals on them to check for parasite load, check eye membrane color (FAMACHA) and use herbal dewormers on a regular basis. Some farms have had good results with copper wire particles, but I have not tried them. I just had a problem treating my doe kid with a chemical dewormer since it seemed to cause her to have even worse diarrhea. Giving her the herbal stuff I have cleared up the diarrhea.

Goats are browsers, not grazers. Yes they can eat hay & grass, but they are happier eating trees & weeds. I take mine on a foraging walk each day and also harvest tree branches and vines for them to eat.

I may be getting some NDs but I need to learn about them first. If anyone can give me any information that would be great and I have a few specific questions.
1. Is $150 too much for 1 intact buckling?

2. Do I need 2 goats or can I keep just 1?
3 Do they need hay all year, or just in winter?

4. What all do I feed them?

5. How much space does 1 goat need?

6. What kind of structure is suitable?

7. How much dies castration cost?

8. Is it better to castrate them?

9. Are ND bucks (or wethers) typically aggresive?

10. Should I just wait for a doe?

Quote Reply
I owned four of them in N. CA and loved them, but I never got a buck because I didn't want to put up with the rutting season behaviors and stink. If you look into it, you can probably find a local goat club, like I belonged to and you won't need to buy one. Unless of course you plan on putting them in contests for breeding purposes. If you are just getting them for pets and brush, just get females and if you want babies, you can always hook up with someone that studs out their bucks. Otherwise, you need a separate enclosure for them during rut or reap the consequences. Goats are herd animals so one alone will be lonely and I found the more goats I had, the happier they were....but I had two enclosed acres and a big barn for them. If its pets you want which it sounds like, I'd wait for a few females. I also had two nubians, two la manchas, two mixed breeds and four pigmies....They would follow me on hikes thru the old growth in my "neighborhood".

I owned four of them in N. CA and loved them, but I never got a buck because I didn't want to put up with the rutting season behaviors and stink. If you look into it, you can probably find a local goat club, like I belonged to and you won't need to buy one. Unless of course you plan on putting them in contests for breeding purposes. If you are just getting them for pets and brush, just get females and if you want babies, you can always hook up with someone that studs out their bucks. Otherwise, you need a separate enclosure for them during rut or reap the consequences. Goats are herd animals so one alone will be lonely and I found the more goats I had, the happier they were....but I had two enclosed acres and a big barn for them. If its pets you want which it sounds like, I'd wait for a few females. I also had two nubians, two la manchas, two mixed breeds and four pigmies....They would follow me on hikes thru the old growth in my "neighborhood".
Ok! Its just that does are SO expensive.

Get bottle doelings! I saw a bottle doeling for 75 dollars the other day on Craigslist. I went to buy a doe for 150 and the lady sold me 2 for 200! Deals are out there to be found/ you could probably find free wethers on a Facebook free farm page

Back
Top Bottom