I think my brain may explode!!!!!!!!!!

chickenmomva

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
Northern Neck,VA
i have been reading all the questions on feeding chicks and pulletts and when to change to a different feed from starter and my brain is ozzing out of my ears...............I have a few questions..........

some of you guys say just keep with the starter until they lay and switch to layer mash type food........it is neccessary to mix oats with that and oyster shells??????

I have chicks coming tomorrow or Wed. I have chicken crumbles or starter to give them do I have to give them chick grit some say no some say yes which is it or do I wait awhile?????????

My pullets are 10 weeks old they are still eating the med. feed we got when we bought them 5 weeks ago and they have grit mixed in with their food is that the right thing to do??????????

help my brain stop oozzing!!!!!!!!!
th.gif

chickenmomva....ok...take a deeeep breath.....rub the temples...and exhale....As far as the grit...I have never given any to my peeps. There is grit in the feed. All they need, unless you are giveing them LOTS of treats. Then a little offered to them is not bad...but make sure they are getting enough food, and not eating just the grit.

Now, you can switch them to layer pellets at 16 to 20 weeks old. At least thats that I did with my RIR last year, and out of 11 hens, I am currently getting 11 eggs a day...sometimes 10, but mostly 11 a day.
My girls, ( and roos) get layer pellets, ( I dont like the mash, too much waste)and cracked corn. There are 13 of them, I feed them 3 cups of each in the morning...then about 1pm, I let them free range for a few hours....then scratch to call them back to the pen. They all seem happy. Good luck, and just enjoy them...they will let you know by thier actions, what they want or need.

You'll be OK! There is so much confusing info out there but you and your chickens will be just fine.

If you want to go totally low-tech, just feed the starter until you see your first egg, then switch to layer (pellets, crumbles, or mash). These are complete foods. Your chickens will not die or suffer serious problems if you don't switch over on exactly the right day. You can mix the starter and layer for a bit too if you want.

Many chicken owners supply other things to their birds (grit, shells, TREATS!, DE, etc). It's like that old joke--put 5 chicken owners in a room and ask them about feeding, and you'll get 6 opinions!

I use pellets and free-range my birds. I also supply treats in the form of fruits and veggies, egg yolks (I usually use just whites when possible), bread, pasta, dairy products near their end dates, etc.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom