If you have experience with Brinsea Ovation Ex incubator can you help me

crittercaretech

out of the house and into the grow out coop
Mar 1, 2020
I set my third batch off eggs since purchasing my Brinsea Ovation Ex 28 and was candling them for the first time this hatch. I noticed when I put the lid back on that the sprocket or cap on the end of the turning motor that is supposed to sit in the turning link was gone. It had fallen off and was in the bottom of the incubator. I have gone over the manual and some online Brinsea incubator cleaning instructions. It shows how to take the turner out for cleaning but it shows the turner with the sprocket or gear on the end and doesn't mention it is supposed to come off.
I am not sure how long the eggs have gone unturned. The last time I know it turned was on Friday mid day. I looked but it is not a part that Brinsea offers in the parts sales. I am concerned that the eggs will be damaged while I tear the top apart to get the turner out and try to get the end back on only to have it fall off again. the manual shows a yellow cap mined has a black one but there is a silver ring inside the one in the photo and mine does not have one nor is there one on the bottom of the incubator. has anyone had this problem and were you able to replace it or should i just leave it alone and try to turn the eggs manually until they hatch. of course this batch of eggs include the last 5 eggs laid by a very special hen who is no longer with us. if turning the egg cradles by hand how do turn them and keep them in position. without the gear or sprocket end there is noting to keep them from coming back to the neutral turning position. I guess I'm just looking for morale support since it is the weekend and cannot talk to anyone at Brinsea till morning. I registered the incubator warranty after purchase and it has been less then a year on a 3 year warranty but when I logged into my Brinsea account it doesn't show any previous orders. I sure hope I can get my attitude in check before the poor customer service person gets my call tomorrow. If you have an idea I'm all ears. thanks for listening. I included a photo of the piece I'm referring to below.
KIMG4233.JPG

I set my third batch off eggs since purchasing my Brinsea Ovation Ex 28 and was candling them for the first time this hatch. I noticed when I put the lid back on that the sprocket or cap on the end of the turning motor that is supposed to sit in the turning link was gone. It had fallen off and was in the bottom of the incubator. I have gone over the manual and some online Brinsea incubator cleaning instructions. It shows how to take the turner out for cleaning but it shows the turner with the sprocket or gear on the end and doesn't mention it is supposed to come off.
I am not sure how long the eggs have gone unturned. The last time I know it turned was on Friday mid day. I looked but it is not a part that Brinsea offers in the parts sales. I am concerned that the eggs will be damaged while I tear the top apart to get the turner out and try to get the end back on only to have it fall off again. the manual shows a yellow cap mined has a black one but there is a silver ring inside the one in the photo and mine does not have one nor is there one on the bottom of the incubator. has anyone had this problem and were you able to replace it or should i just leave it alone and try to turn the eggs manually until they hatch. of course this batch of eggs include the last 5 eggs laid by a very special hen who is no longer with us. if turning the egg cradles by hand how do turn them and keep them in position. without the gear or sprocket end there is noting to keep them from coming back to the neutral turning position. I guess I'm just looking for morale support since it is the weekend and cannot talk to anyone at Brinsea till morning. I registered the incubator warranty after purchase and it has been less then a year on a 3 year warranty but when I logged into my Brinsea account it doesn't show any previous orders. I sure hope I can get my attitude in check before the poor customer service person gets my call tomorrow. If you have an idea I'm all ears. thanks for listening. I included a photo of the piece I'm referring to below.
View attachment 2978592
I hope you get this all fixed. In the meantime, with your eggs. Mark D and N on opposite sides with a marker. I know some people use Sharpies; I also use washable Crayola markers. You can put a small towel in the incubator.
I know a lot of people say turn an odd number of times, but I have done my own tests and you only need to turn them twice a day. I do it at 8am and 8pm. Just any 12 hours a part will do. If you are able to turn them more and you want to, you can do that too.
Anyway, I hope you can get your incubator fixed. They cost a lot of money, and that's a real shame.

I’ve never had that come off mine. I own the exact same incubator and have used it several times. If you contact Brinsea, they have extraordinary customer service. They are extremely helpful with any and all problems.

Back
Top Bottom